Ordering MBP tomorrow kinda scared.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

First off I promised myself I would never get a credit card and my parents would kill me if they found out I got one. I have set aside $500 to put down toward $2,000. Normally I would save up the whole amount but I need it sooner so I looked into the billmelater option. I have seen both negative and positive reviews. Anyone think I should go for a credit card or billmelater? If the negative reviews are right I dont want 116 percent APR on $1,500!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who does 116% APR? That is completely illegal.
    I would get a CC before I'd use BML, if you must finance.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Look for refurbished and cheeper models and save your money for that one.

4. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Honestly, you don't need it bad enough to put it on credit. Why would you pay interest on an item that immediately depreciates once you take ownership?

5. joehahn macrumors regular

what, in today's day and age wouldnt depreciate the second you own it?

6. belvdr macrumors 603

A house. Not every house mind you, but in general houses and land appreciate.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just about any car that costs $100,000 or more.

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

9. deneenco macrumors member

deneenco

Some of these replies are laughable....

Why would you never get a credit card????? You won't get very far in this world without credit... It's a $2,000 computer... get yourself a credit card (with a low interest rate) and charge it.... skip billmelater...... and pay more than your minimum finance charges if you expect to pay it off before you want to upgrade...

and uh, yeah... if your signature is correct, and you're still using a G3 imac... you DO need a new computer.

Oh yeah... the person who suggested real estate, do you actually OWN real estate, or are you just repeating what others have said for years, which doesn't apply any more... at least if you've bought a house in the past 6 years or so... and now it's worth a fraction of what you owe on it.... DEPRECIATION..

and the thought that *most* cars over 100k aren't going to depreciate... delusional. I promise that an Audi R8, MSRP 114k (for example), will NOT be worth that after you drive it off the lot, same goes for other 100k+ cars, Astons, Porsche, high end BMW's they will ALL lose value the second you drive it off the lot....

10. doox00 macrumors regular

Agree, thats a good way to build your credit as well, just don't get caught up in the credit world and over use, you will regret it for a long time if you do.

11. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

If you have self discipline then go for it. If you can pay off a good bit and pay off the amount in a decent time there no reason why it would be a bad idea. As the user above me stated you won't get very far without credit and if you do then when it come time to buy a house or a car you may be screwed. Not sure if this is accurate but I heard people view you as a huge risk if you dont have any credit maybe even a bit more than people with bad credit.

12. macjay macrumors 6502

IMO, you'd be better off saving for an Apple laptop you can afford instead of buying on credit.

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

If you buy it on credit you are simply wasting valuable money that could be spent on...a bigger hard drive, a faster processor, a better graphics card...the point is you probably could get a cheep refurb macbook to get you through, save up, buy the MBP, and still have spent the same amount of money as you would have using credit.

14. doox00 macrumors regular

I don't think he/she will be spending that much on interest if they were to pay it off within 6 months or less, plus it really would be good for their credit if they have no credit at the moment.

15. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

What? This means spending more money at some absurd rate like 20% on a credit card...how is that good? You want to increase your credit go after something that you actually have to finance like a car or a house. Paying money in interest is stupid if you can prevent it.

16. doox00 macrumors regular

You don't pay interest on a car? They did not mention the interest rate they have on their credit card, my main credit card is something like 9 percent or less. My rewards card is little higher, 12.9 I think it is.

Just saying its not a terrible idea to put 1500 on a credit card if you pay it off within 6 months.. and it will help build credit history and raise your score.

If you don't purchase the mac on your cc, use the cc to fill your gas tank each month, pay it off at the end of the month.. that will also help your credit score.

17. theJamie macrumors member

FYI, you'll eventually need a credit card. You can't rent a car or stay at a decent hotel without one. It is for "insurance's" sake. And if you travel the world, forget doing travelers checks.

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Obviously disagree, but not important...to the OP whats your decision?

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you are entering college I would highly suggest putting it on a credit card to build credit history.

People act like credit cards are the worst thing ever and they very well can be but if you buy with them occasionally and pay them off asap you should be fine. I use mine all the time because if someone steals my credit card number oh noes I call and cancel it.

Like others have stated you really should start building credit history. Its hard to do anything without it like buying houses, cars, renting apartments even, and some employers (although it should be illegal) will run a credit history check.

Just don't get caught in the minimum payment trap!

20. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

enjoy the treadmill the banks have set up under you.

21. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Citi College Rewards Card baby. Only 12.24 interest rate which is the best I found for a student like me with limited credit history.

22. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

That's only if you are a compulsive buyer and don't know how to manage money. People who know how to manage money can use a credit card as a tool. You buy only when you know you have the money coming in to pay it off. People who don't know to play the credit card game or don't have will power shouldn't have a card. I keep a credit card in my drawer for emergencies. If my car breaks down or something happens that my insurance won't cover, I turn to the credit card instead of bumming off friends or family.

23. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Personally of the mindset that if you pay for it with plastic, then you better be able to pay it off when the bill comes...right or wrong you can never go into debt if you always pay your card off every month.

24. doox00 macrumors regular

I agree, best to pay it off at the end of the month. I always keep a small balance on a card or two though, so I have a consistent payment history every month on my credit report.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 To paying your card off monthly. Its how I do it. As soon as I see a bill its paid.