All iPads Ordering movies from iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Oct 27, 2013.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I'm sure I know the answer to this questions but it is worth asking just in case. When downloading a movie they give you a choice of hd and sd. In the interst of saving space on my kids iPads... I like the sd version but if we plug the iPad into the tv I'd like the HD version. Is there any way to get the sd version if you download the hd... Or is it just one or the other even if I order the more expensive one?

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Actually I think that if you "rent" you cannot change device.

Not at all sure about "buying"

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Purchasing the HD version automatically grants you the SD copy. So I say always go for the HD version.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Really? How do you get the SD later?

6. Icaras, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I thought there used to be a setting in video settings on iOS devices to select 480p, but i can't seem to find that option now in iOS 7. Hmm.

The other way is in iTunes on your PC and Mac, you can set the quality of the video download of your purchases in settings and then you could sync it via iTunes. Yea it looks like you can't download your movie at a lower quality directly from iCloud, at least not in iOS 7.

Sorry, I thought the setting on iOS existed. But you definitely get the SD copy because in iTunes on Mac, you can select 480p downloads.

Edit: I think I just remembered but I'm not in front of my computer right now. But select your iPhone or iPad in iTunes, on the front page there should be a setting to sync your videos in standard definition.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ok I'm in front of my Mac now and I was right. If you use iTunes on a computer, make sure your iPad is either physically connected via cable or it's connected via Wifi sync. Then, select the iPad in iTunes and on the front page screen, at the bottom under Options, you'll see the option "Prefer standard definition movies".

If you select this option, whenever you sync an HD movie to your iOS device, iTunes should downsize it to 480p quality. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow you the convenience of iCloud of downloading the SD copy directly to your iOS device so it looks like you'll have to resort to iTunes for now.

Also remember that in iOS 7, all purchased movies and TV shows content can be streamed directly from iCloud without having to be locally downloaded. All you have to do is open the Videos app and assuming you're using wifi, all your content should be available to play immediately and in HD (if purchased) without taking up any space on the iPad.