Ordering new 15" MBP -- high res vs standard res for software development

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgp78, Mar 28, 2011.

1. pgp78 macrumors newbie

I'm a software developer and I'm debating whether to go with the high resolution or the standard resolution for a new 15" MBP. AG is another story (not sure about it).

Are there any software developers that recommend high res vs low res?

I've gone to the store and have compared them back to back. I like the space that the high res gives you. I'm just concerned that high res might be harder on the eyes after 10-12 hours a day. Some people are quick to suggest to increase the font size but it seems that usually creates other issues where elements of the UI no longer look in synch.

I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone here that does software development.

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hi res. I have a 2010 hi res (same resolution) and it's fine for extended period of time.

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I agree. I program in Visual Studio, Eclipse, and Xcode and the extra screen space is very nice. I just came from the standard resolution (1440x900) and the HR gives me more room for all the windows in VS and E.

Enjoy!
    -P

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I totally agree. High res all the way, for the reasons listed above.

5. macagain macrumors regular

hires definitely.

i do eclipse and xcode. 1440 was quite miserable to program on...

6. pgp78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Did either of you opt for antiglare?

I used it at the store for a while. Things look clearer at the higher-resolution with AG but at the same time the colors arent as rich.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I bought a HR AG 15" MBP after owning the regular glossy for 2+ years. The colors of the 2011 AG are just as good as the glossy version, if not better. I seriously cannot see any loss in color and think the colors are actually more accurate on the AG.

Also, is color really that huge of a concern if you plan on doing programming?

8. macagain macrumors regular

stuck with glossy... got used to my glossy over the last couple of years, and also my acd is glossy... didn't want to go back and forth. went and looked at AG in the store, and it looked "washed out" to me when compared to the HR. i actually thought it also looked "less crisp"...

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. Much prefer antiglare.

10. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Hi-Res AG. For dev environments, IDEs, testing, debugging, etc, it's always good to have the extra screen real estate.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Interesting... I compared my 2008 MBP w/ my 2011 MBP HR AG and it doesn't look washed out to me at all. In fact, colors looked fuller.

[​IMG]

Both monitors were set at full brightness. 2008 MBP display and logic board were also just replaced.

12. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I actually like the 1440x900, but only because I typically use it with a 24" monitor and I don't like the extreme contrast in resolutions that you get with the HR vs the 24"-er.

And I agree, by itself, the 1440x900 screen is a pain to work on.

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

Hi-res, but I had used one for 2 1/2 years on my old MBP, but I don't think it was a hi-res, just a regular Matte screen.

Colours are NOT washed out. I use Aperture 3/CS4 quite a bit.

15. abhic macrumors member

Hi-Res Anti-Glare is definitely worth the investment!

Thank you for these photos!

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Looks good saw a similar comparison pic on anandtech 2010 display review. Colors looked good although it looks like the glossy is brighter than the AG in that pic.