Ordering new custom iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thomasman87, Dec 2, 2012.

1. thomasman87 macrumors member

So I want to order a 27inch iMac with a fusion drive. I know they are not out yet, but I am wondering if I could do this in an apple store and pick it up there, or if I have to order online and have it shipped.

I only ask because I am in Philadelphia where I would have to pay 8% sales tax, or drive 30 minutes to Delaware and pay no sales tax..

Thanks in advance.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

8% tax verses no tax? What a dilemma. I had to pay 20% tax here in the UK. I'm pretty sure you could order for in store collection. Why don't you put it in the basket and see what options are available on Tax and Shipping.

3. sjz88 macrumors member

It`s so confusing that you have different taxes in different counties/states. Makes everything pretty confusing I think.

4. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

Once it is in the cart with a fusion drive it says not eligible for pick up. Can you special order in store?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I guess not then. Could you have it delivered to a friends house in the other state and not pay tax?

6. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

That is looking like my best bet. Thanks.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I ordered my rmbp from MacMall and had it delivered to a niece in an adjoining state. The savings more than paid for the gas needed to go get it. So consider ordering from a retailer like B&H or MacMall so that there is no sales tax.

8. NJelect, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

NJelect macrumors member

Yes, you can visit an Apple store and configure your system with an Apple rep, he/she will generate a point of sale (receipt) - payment is made.
    The computer will be delivered to the Apple store, they will call you when it arrives for pick-up.
    I know the above with complete truth since I asked the rep before the new base-line iMac was available at the store.
    The idea of having it shipped to another State (tax free) may raise an issue if configured in your present State.
    I understand your view regarding tax since it is an added cost that could be used for an upgrade etc...
    State tax is strange, in the past I ordered electrical components from mouser electronics in Texas ( I reside in NJ), I had to pay sales tax because mouser has a tiny, little office/suite in NJ.