Ordering new iMac, processor question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BESLC, Dec 30, 2013.

1. BESLC macrumors regular

I am ordering a new imac,replacing 5 year old iMac and have a question on which processors to order.

My question is i5 or i7? I am an average user whose usage is variable. What I mean by average and variable is, I am not doing heavy graphics or gaming. I use business applications , some personal photo editing and an occasional game.

I know that either processor will be significantly faster than my current one. My thoughts are an i5 with fusion drive and 16gigs of ram given that I am not what I consider a power user. I am looking at another 5 years of trouble free use on the new machine with ability to update OS and applications as needed. So is the i5 a sound choice? Pricing is not a deal breaker, however I do not see a need for overkill.

Side note..I have read the i7 runs much hotter than the i5?

Thank you for your time and feedback.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything that requires an i7 processor.

3. leman macrumors 604

The i5 is more than a sound choice for you - its an excellent CPU and the performance difference from i7 in the everyday usage is not noticeable.

A suggestion though: get the SSD instead of the Fusion drive + a USB3 external drive for mass storage and backups. I like the Fusion drive as a concept, but I was not 100% satisfied with its performance, so I asked Apple to swap it for an SSD model instead. Also, with the Fusion drive, Windows installation goes to the HDD part - which has a large impact on the performance.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Or get the fusion drive and split it into a separate SSD + HDD ;),

5. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I've got an early '13 21" i5, 8gb ram, iMac with Fusion Drive and have been completely happy with its performance. Like you, I'm not playing games or doing video work, although I do some light graphics / vector work. Mostly its Pages, Numbers and email for work.

It's never felt slow in anything I do - comparing it to my MacBook Air with pure ssd. I love having the speed and mass storage capability - so I don't have to worry about cleaning up what I save on it like I do on my mba. If you do need to run Windows, it will be slower given it gets parked on the hdd partition in boot camp.

I'm about to order another one for my company and will be getting the same base unit with FD, given it's worked so well for us so far.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

i7 helps with multithread aware apps, which are still a rarity. It could mean an automatic boost in 3-5 years or it may not matter before your next purchase cycle. The problem being that most customers don't have it, so there isn't a ton of incentive.