Ordering new iPhone without Sales Tax

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I think apple is in cohorts with some larger institution (read: fedgov). I cannot find an online retailer outside of my state to get an iPhone. Literally any other apple product is no problem, but iPhone? Nope.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I think you mean kahoots and not cohorts.

If the retailer has a brick and mortar store in your state, you must pay tax even if you make the purchase online. Most of these places won't/can't sell to you in another region. I have this with WalMart regularly. I want brand x soup. My mother can get it on WalMart.com, but it's not available to me.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
This sounds an awful lot like "how do I break the law?"
No.
Online retailers do not have to charge sales tax for states where they don’t have a physical presence. This was done so online retailers could be competitive against local businesses. There is nothing evil, wrong, or illegal about this practice.

Reactions: I7guy

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No.
Online retailers do not have to charge sales tax for states where they don’t have a physical presence. This was done so online retailers could be competitive against local businesses. There is nothing evil, wrong, or illegal about this practice.
Tough luck. Pay your tax and enjoy your device. It's part of affording the device.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.