Ordering nMP today... should I bother?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DVNIEL, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

This is my birthday gift to myself this year. I was going for an nMP with 2 Thunderbolt displays but after reading the threads, it doesn't look like there is much information regarding shipping times for those who've ordered recently. Many of the ones who ordered back in January still have yet to be made whole.

If I were to order one today, would I be expecting a 3-month wait also? Or should I just wait for them to be finally sold in store? Your thoughts please. I'm not dying to get it now, I already have a beast with 4 Titan's tiding me over :D

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

If you were to order today apple Guarantees an April Delivery and your wait would be no longer than 35 days. But apple has become promise breakers and missed almost everyone's February delivery window a few weeks back

3. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Personally, I'd wait until the delivery is roughly two weeks from the time of order. I think that's a reasonable amount of time, even for BTO.

That's my plan. I'm still a few months away from ordering, so I'm hoping Apple can get their S$%t together by then.

One thing you might wish to do is wait until April and then see what the Apple site says regarding delivery date. If it says May, then things are still going slow, but if it says April, then perhaps things are improving (though that's no guarantee).

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

5. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Jesus why couldnt the six core with d700's be in stock

6. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I would love to use BH but I'm getting the quad core nMP at ~2700 after taxes due to company EPP discount.

I ordered two days ago, it said shipping April I hope Apple can keep their word.

7. rawrdinosaurmoo macrumors newbie

Yes

the wait is excruciatingly long, i think i waited 63 days total, maybe now you can get them sooner but the machine is fantastic for my small workload, thing looks great as well :D, i ordered the base quad core model, i had to upgrade my ram but other than that i love it

8. RodPinto macrumors regular

You already have a great computer. If were you, i would wait for its next refresh, probably on the 3rd quarter, with new haswell processors and DDR4, beyond improved gpus.

This is the route i'm taking...

9. Marty62 macrumors 6502

2nd quarter of 2015 I would guess .... not this year !!

M

10. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

My Dell and HP reps are advising me that Sept/Oct is the right time frame for Haswell-EP servers/workstations.

11. xlp macrumors newbie

Is this Dell/Hp? :confused:

It is highly unlikely that Apple will update their new nMP with new GPUs/Motherboards + DDR4 within a year of its release, seeing how they still have major issues with shipping.

12. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

...with shipping and with manufacturing!

....not only shipping in itself is a problem but obviously they have not enough machines to ship.
    The problem is the quantity of computers they can assemble in Austin within a certain time as compared to the number of people having ordered and waiting for them.
    Maybe it goes further to the companies supplying the different components they must assemble in Austin.
    Who knows?
    :confused:

13. xlp macrumors newbie

Yeah indeed. Who knows... I wish Apple would open their mouth and tell everyone whats going on, but that will never happen....

14. snouter macrumors 6502a

As Pro, they are very hard to plan around. If you had money in your 2013 budget, Apple's failure to ship in 2013 hurt.

My guess is no update this year. They are not even shipping now and it's April. Next up is rAir, mini and this 12" for the school season. Or, whatever the hell Apple chooses to release. lol

15. CH12671 macrumors 6502

I suggested this in a post and was promptly informed (by some macrumors genius) that it only takes 30 minutes to build the nMP... :eek:

FWIW, I think you are right. They are ironing out the issues involved in robotic builds. Looks like they are catching up, or the number of new orders is falling off....one or the other. They have went from a 60 plus day lead time to no more than 32 as of right now...

16. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Both Dell and HP.

Other vendors and mobo makers have no problem with having product for sale as soon as Intel starts selling the CPUs in quantity.

Only Apple (and Apple customers) think that it's reasonable to ship old technology for a year or two after newer stuff is out.

Updating the mobo is simple and cheap, especially for a small tweak like this.

17. RoastingPig, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Benefits from this so called haswell nMP release would be native usb 3.0 support. Apple would possible have to make a new power supply because it draws more power and what gpu would they add?, probably some firepro derived from the 290x which would probably melt the machine...oh and Aftermarket and bto orders of ddr4 is Initially probably gonna cost an arm and a leg at release with a probable 10% boost to me doesn't benefit me nothing.

18. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Its reasonable considering its a first generation platform and they based it on the current technology at the time. The same with many integrated systems. Its hard to build a new platform with technology that is not even out yet. Thunderbolt 2 is also newer technology.

Its also faster and uses more recent tech then previous Mac Pro's.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Don't let them off the hook that easy. Plenty of companies assemble things in the US. A lot of automobiles are assembled here and they are much more complicated to assemble than the nMP.

20. AidenShaw, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

By the time Haswell-EP ships, the nMP design will be a year and a half old since introduction (June 2013), and close to a year old since shipping (Dec 2013).

Apologize for Apple all you want - while the "rest of us" buy Haswell-EPs from the other vendors.

But it's not hard to update the platform when new tech arrives. The Mac Pro languished with USB 2.0 and no T-Bolt for ages, and skipped Sandy-Bridge completely.

Isn't Apple engineering amazing? They used newer parts to make a newer computer. ;)

Just yesterday ordered a Dell Precision Workstation with the E5-1650v2 - ship date is 2 April for a CTO.

So it's not the CPU or memory that's the bottleneck. (Of course, it has a Quadro - no bearing if AMD is the problem.)

21. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

delete - auto-merge didn't merge two adjacent replies

22. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Of course, there is always a better computer just around the corner. :) By the time the Haswell's launch, there will be talk of Broadwell on 14nm and so on.

I think there are times when a variety of things come together to make a good buying event.

As far as Mac Pros go...

In 2009, the new Nehalem architecture was one worth buying with its on-die memory controller and PCIe lanes... every CPU following that (to this day) has been just a speed-bump.

Intel's focus is on more parallelism and power efficiency which, after 6-8 cores, really only helps servers. So while Haswell-EP will offer a couple more cores per die, we already know the performance increase is around 8-10% clock-per-clock. And DDR4 is all about power efficiency. Memory speed is not a bottleneck with the big cache sizes intel is using.

This year, we got a whole new form factor, PCIe SSD, USB 3, TB2, and dual GPUs. If there was ever a good buying event for a new Mac Pro, this is the year (IMHO)... you probably won't see this much new stuff in a Mac Pro for awhile.

The only exciting part of the next Mac Pro will be what next-gen GPUs offer in terms of performance. But in many Apps, we're still waiting for the software to take advantage of the GPUs we have. :rolleyes:

23. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Well, since you said, your birthday "This Year", probably not.

----------

I spent it on an oMP and all the fixins, it was apparent they'd never ship the nMP on time. Now I have a nice project to keep me busy till the next CanApple ships, if I can ever get to it.

Hate to leave money on the table.

24. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I was going to give you a +1, but at the end I read:

Ironic, since the Mac Tube GPUs are a generation behind the times.

If you had CUDA GPUs, you'd be better off. But Apple decided "no CUDA for you"!