ordering now & holiday return policy question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghanwani, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Normally, if you buy a product at or after Thanksgiving in the US, Apple allows until after the New Year for a return.

Given that orders are now backed up so that they would get delivered only in early December, would a similar return policy apply to such an order?

I am interested in the one with the touch panel. I'm think I should place the order since they are already showing 5-6 weeks out. In that time, we'll see enough reviews, so I can cancel my order if they don't look good. And once it gets to me, I would have until after Jan 1 to return the machine if it doesn't work out, so I'd get 3-4 weeks with it instead of the usual 14 days.

2. ag29 macrumors 6502

http://www.imore.com/what-you-need-know-about-apples-holiday-return-policy

If an item was purchased between November 1 and December 25, you have until January 8 to return or exchange it.

Meaning you have to purchase it starting on November 1st.. IF you purchase it right now you only have 14 days starting from the day you receive it on..but it really depends on your luck with the person that helps you at the Apple Store. Sometimes they will let you return it after and if you ask to speak to a manager they'd most likely let you into the same holiday return policy.

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I wait till Nov 1 to order, I can easily see the ship date being late December or early January, which would be outside the holiday return period.

4. ag29, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

ag29 macrumors 6502

I would just order it right now and not worry about the return date. You will still be able to return it with the same holiday return policy..but it's not official (since you technically purchased before Nov 1) so worst case scenario you might have to go through a manager to return it.

But if you're really worried about it, then heres something you can do to 100% get it off your mind. Once you get your new mac, stop by the Apple Store and tell them you want to make sure you are in the same terms as the holiday return policy and they will adjust your return date.

5. ghanwani, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I placed the order. Estimated in store pick up is Dec 12. I'll try and get the return date adjusted before I pick up.
    3.1 GHz / 16 MB / 512 GB