Ordering online from Apple and trading in old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkirshner26, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jkirshner26 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, when you order an iPhone 6 from Apple online, can you still take your old iPhone and trade it in to them to get credit towards that purchase? Or do you actually have to do it in store all at the same time?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can't go towards that purchase but a future purchase.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you order for pickup in store, you may be able to trade in your iphone when you pick up your phone. Call the store and find out. Otherwise, you have to mail in your phone. I just did that, and I'm waiting for my Apple gift card.

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/reuse-and-recycling

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

So right.

you can get 100+ on ebay for a phone 5 16g than what apple is offering at trade in. (At least last week you could)

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I know. But I don't shop *that* much from Amazon, so it could be years before I use whatever credit they give me for my phone. With Apple, I know I'll be using it for the next iPad or maybe the Apple Watch.

As for eBay or Craigslist, sure you can get more money there, but you have to list your item, vet your buyers, arrange for shipping or meet-ups, etc. This trade in took me five minutes to fill out an online form, then another five minutes to go by the local ups store to drop off the package.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I meant Amazon as an example not as a solution for everyone. Obviously they wouldn't be as worthwhile to you if you don't use them.

(Though in my case I'll easily spend multiple phones worth of trade-ins at Amazon between now and Christmas :) )