ordering online

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by constant L, Jun 19, 2007.

1. constant L macrumors member

has anyone ever ordered an apple product on launch day from the apple site. I'm wondering if increased traffic will cause the site to shut down or limit access.

i assume there has been no official info released about the time it will be on the site...i haven't seen anything regarding that nature.

if this is a feasible option i would do it this way....anyone know?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i have never ordered anything on release date but i am assuming that they will put it up at about 6 and then take orders. and since there will be a higher demand it will definitely not be a quick delivery. this is only what im assuming though so dont take it as gospel

3. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

That makes sense. There's also an impersonal element. What if they ship to stores to accommodate long lines and put online orders on a backorder list?

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

that's not how it works. the apple online store is treated as if it were its own store as if it were in new york or philadelphia, generally orders are sent out to online purchasers first come first served.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

not doubting your knowledge, but how exactly do you know this. and if it is true thats sweet

6. sonarghost macrumors regular

He is actually right. I ordered my 24" imac about 2 hours after it went "live" on apple.com. As you can imagine there was alot of activity on the forums with everyone posting what they bought and how long before it was shipped. People that purchased before me had a faster shipping/arrival date than me. I don't know though if this will hold true with iphones.

7. surefire09 macrumors member

i also believe this to be true. first come first serve. my friend bought it within the same day and he had an earler time then i did. pretty sure thats going to be the same with the iphone

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Then you dont have to get AT&T service when ordering online from the Apple store? :confused:

9. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

ordering online is going to be interesting

10. surefire09 macrumors member

has anyone ever heard of amazon's way of dealing with too many people buying a product that is beign voted on for a deal.

well sorry i cant fien the link but this is what they did.

people voted on 3 items to be discounted around 70-80% off retail(xbox/ps3/ect)
    then voting stops 3 days before. then online at 10am PST people would log on to the amazon website and click on the deal button that will only appear once its 10am. the traffic is heavy and the server gose out for a couple of hours but the lucky ones will get a code to allow them to purchase the item for a low cost.

i'm thinking apple should consider on the 29th 6pm PST a button which you can click to receive a ticket (of course if your smart you would have your account saved as a cookie to the site.) with that ticket you have 3 days to log onto the apple website to redeem and purchase your iphone at any time (therefore the traffic wont mess up your checkout process.)

11. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

It will be nice to have online ordering available as an option instead of standing in line. I wonder if buying it online will tie the newly-purchased phone's serial # to your iTunes account (same as your Apple Store account, right?) for eventual activation and billing.