Ordering recommendation - AT&T vs. Apple

btr94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I am going to buy my iPhone 4 tonight - question is, should I buy it through Apple or AT&T? Solely in terms of speed do I ask this question.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I bought through AT&T because I had to buy my wife a non-iPhone at the same time, but if I was buying only a single iPhone, I'd definitely go through Apple directly.

btr94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Apple it is! Unless someone has any reason I shouldn't...

Wish I could go to the Apple Store, but I need to buy the phone unactivated (see my other recent thread) because I have to use an upgrade on another line.

hryan4740

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
NoVA

Wish I could go to the Apple Store, but I need to buy the phone unactivated (see my other recent thread) because I have to use an upgrade on another line.
I think it depends though. People who ordered from AT&T last Friday are getting theirs shipped today. Just don't order through premier, they're lagging.

dhjapple89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Waco, TX

In store, they can apply your upgrade to any line you want as long as you have one on your account. If you order online, you have to give them the number you want to upgrade before you can buy the phone so they can give you the correct pricing.

I would go in store if possible because the will do all the hard work for you and if you order online you have to activate the line you don't want the phone on and then call AT&T to have them change the IMEI number on the line you just upgraded back to what it was and then change the IMEI number on the line you want to upgrade to the the IMEI number of your new iPhone 4.

Hope this helps.

btr94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
In store, they can apply your upgrade to any line you want as long as you have one on your account. If you order online, you have to give them the number you want to upgrade before you can buy the phone so they can give you the correct pricing.
So you're saying that they will use the one line for pricing, and then the other line for the actual activation at the Apple Store?

LongPigeon

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Thought I read somewhere that if you buy the iPhone from Apple, it will be tied to only that one SIM card, so you can't use another SIM. Also, isn't AT&T shipping out iPhone 4 faster than Apple right now?

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I would call all local places, i.e., Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Apple stores, AT&T first. If not head down to your local AT&T store and order one.I ordered 2 32GB phones last friday and they should be here tomorrow. Not too shabby.

Vinnie Madrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
HowELL, NJ
Apple.com has a 3 week waiting period before they are ready for shipping. ATT.com says 7-14 days until it ships. I ordered my 2 32gb iphone 4's yesterday. i'm playing the waiting game

S Brake

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

AT&T is getting phones out much faster. My Apple ordered16 gig 7/12 order shipped today but won't arrive until aug 3. Those that ordered through AT&T are getting their phones the day after their shipping notices.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I just ordered mine thru apple.com a few minutes ago. The reason I ordered with them is because they told me if I find one available in store, i can just cancel the online order.

Hodum

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
i'm disappointed you can't order from best buy the same way you could order from apple. this first come first serve thing is a hassle.

eo6564

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I prefer Apple Store. Much easier to return the iPhone if you have problems or are not happy with it. Plus no restocking fee.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
It's much easier in case of any trouble. AT&T told me to buy apple care because it covers accidents, and I had to get mad and ask for supervisor to cancel an order still in process. Apple employees defiantly have more knowledge then AT&T sales.

eo6564

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
That's been my experience with AT&T. They don't know much about the iPhone. They are so quick to transfer me to Apple whenever I call on the phone about anything to do with the iPhone itself.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I prefer Apple Store. Much easier to return the iPhone if you have problems or are not happy with it. Plus no restocking fee.
No restocking fee at AT&T either.

I thought Apple charged tax on the cost of the phone ($600 for 16GB) versus the price paid ($200). Don't quote me on it, but that would be something I would look into first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.