Ordering recommendation - AT&T vs. Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btr94, Jul 27, 2010.

1. btr94 macrumors member

I am going to buy my iPhone 4 tonight - question is, should I buy it through Apple or AT&T? Solely in terms of speed do I ask this question.

2. Trundle macrumors member

3. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I bought through AT&T because I had to buy my wife a non-iPhone at the same time, but if I was buying only a single iPhone, I'd definitely go through Apple directly.

4. btr94 thread starter macrumors member

Apple it is! Unless someone has any reason I shouldn't...

Wish I could go to the Apple Store, but I need to buy the phone unactivated (see my other recent thread) because I have to use an upgrade on another line.

5. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I think it depends though. People who ordered from AT&T last Friday are getting theirs shipped today. Just don't order through premier, they're lagging.

6. dhjapple89 macrumors member

In store, they can apply your upgrade to any line you want as long as you have one on your account. If you order online, you have to give them the number you want to upgrade before you can buy the phone so they can give you the correct pricing.

I would go in store if possible because the will do all the hard work for you and if you order online you have to activate the line you don't want the phone on and then call AT&T to have them change the IMEI number on the line you just upgraded back to what it was and then change the IMEI number on the line you want to upgrade to the the IMEI number of your new iPhone 4.

Hope this helps.

7. btr94 thread starter macrumors member

So you're saying that they will use the one line for pricing, and then the other line for the actual activation at the Apple Store?

8. LongPigeon macrumors newbie

Thought I read somewhere that if you buy the iPhone from Apple, it will be tied to only that one SIM card, so you can't use another SIM. Also, isn't AT&T shipping out iPhone 4 faster than Apple right now?

9. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Premier processed my order in 2 days and that was when there was a huge delay. I would recommend AT&T!

10. playaproved macrumors 6502

I would call all local places, i.e., Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Apple stores, AT&T first. If not head down to your local AT&T store and order one.I ordered 2 32GB phones last friday and they should be here tomorrow. Not too shabby.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

12. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

Apple.com has a 3 week waiting period before they are ready for shipping. ATT.com says 7-14 days until it ships. I ordered my 2 32gb iphone 4's yesterday. i'm playing the waiting game

13. S Brake macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

AT&T is getting phones out much faster. My Apple ordered16 gig 7/12 order shipped today but won't arrive until aug 3. Those that ordered through AT&T are getting their phones the day after their shipping notices.

14. michaelz macrumors regular

15. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

why?

16. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I just ordered mine thru apple.com a few minutes ago. The reason I ordered with them is because they told me if I find one available in store, i can just cancel the online order.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It doesn't matter. I've bought iP4's from both sources online & from their respective stores. There's no difference.

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

All three Apple stores in my area have a large number of phones in stock.

19. Hodum macrumors newbie

i'm disappointed you can't order from best buy the same way you could order from apple. this first come first serve thing is a hassle.

20. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I know... I wanted to use my Best Buy Rewards...

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'd check your local Best Buy. The ones here around me all have IP4 in stock.

22. eo6564 macrumors member

eo6564

I prefer Apple Store. Much easier to return the iPhone if you have problems or are not happy with it. Plus no restocking fee.

23. michaelz macrumors regular

It's much easier in case of any trouble. AT&T told me to buy apple care because it covers accidents, and I had to get mad and ask for supervisor to cancel an order still in process. Apple employees defiantly have more knowledge then AT&T sales.

24. eo6564 macrumors member

eo6564

That's been my experience with AT&T. They don't know much about the iPhone. They are so quick to transfer me to Apple whenever I call on the phone about anything to do with the iPhone itself.

25. ballen420 macrumors 6502

No restocking fee at AT&T either.

I thought Apple charged tax on the cost of the phone ($600 for 16GB) versus the price paid ($200). Don't quote me on it, but that would be something I would look into first.