Ordering rMBP: Best Buy/Amazon/Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Going to order a rMBP in a day or two. Best Buy shows 1-2 weeks backorded. Apple is at 3-4. Not sure on Amazon. It's $110 cheaper on Amazon and BB than though Apple, though I can get $100 off at Apple through my credit card I'm waiting to come in.

SO, what is my best option for ordering? Anyone have experience getting one quickly from any of these sources? My gut tells me Apple will have inventory before anyone else, but maybe less people are ordering from other places too. I doubt Best Buy's 1-2 weeks is accurate when Apple is at 3-4, but who knows? What would you guys do?

2. 184550 Guest

In the event that anything happens, I'd much rather deal with Apple as opposed to Best Buy or Amazon.

Though personally I'd rather use my financing and get my reward zones points with Best Buy. Were I buying one, I'd wait until they were available in store then get one using the aforementioned benefits.

3. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

How confident are you that the BB estimate is accurate?

4. hinrgmike macrumors newbie

I debated this and ended up ordering a 2.6 base rMBP from Amazon two days after launch. At time they were indicating pre-order with no ship date estimate. Ended up receiving it on quickly (June 25th) and I've had zero issues (no ghosting, cosmetic issues, etc). Given 9% sales tax here, that alone saved me about $250 to apply to other nice purchases :)

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went to the Saginaw, Michigan Best Buy today and got their last rMBP that they had in stock. Same way I got my old 2008 MBP a couple weeks after it was released. Absolutely LOVE this machine. Microsoft Word opens in less than a second. Wow.

6. unibility macrumors 6502

i managed to purchase the 512GB version at BB without a problem. i simply called and they held one for me and i received a $200 educational discount. that may be your best bet.

7. iforbes macrumors 6502

8. Chaotic1200 macrumors newbie

You may want to call the store and inquire regarding the stock on hand...The Best Buy in Springfield, VA was showing back ordered and I called to find out that they did have units available...they held it for me and I picked it up...base model rmbp

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I've never had trouble with Best Buy or Amazon on other things. Is it just Apple's return policy? I've always purchased from third parties whenever possible as they often have better deals, and I want to see those purchasing options remain. After the return period, you can take it in to the Apple Store for warranty concerns either way.

10. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I just like Apple's easy online ordering. Go Apple.com

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would choose either amazon or apple. If you are in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax you could save some money going that route.

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

depends if you care about local sales tax as you would if you go Apple, BB or other company with retail locations in your state. With Amazon, B&H...etc. no sales tax for most states.

B&H has Apple Care for $100 off.

13. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

another aspect to consider is what specs are you looking for in the retina? Best buy for example doesn't have all the same retina models available as the apple store. So do you sacrifice that to buy from best buy?

14. macbook123 macrumors 68000

What's the overall best deal and what do I have to ask for at Best Buy to receive maximal benefits? Is $200 education discount the best I can get through them? I am in education.

15. mac3609 macrumors member

I feel Amazon is great for not being have to pay taxes for the purchase. The only thing I am concern about buying from Amazon is how good its customer services regarding exchange your computer if you encounter problems such if you open your computer and see a dead pixel. Amazon from what I know will charge you 15% restocking fees if you want to do a complete return.

16. macbook123 macrumors 68000

You also have to be concerned about being banned from Amazon. It can happen quite easily if you return expensive things after using them.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That only happens to customers who amazon feels that have abused their return policy

18. amy88 macrumors newbie

I went with amazon.

19. Sam2lucky13, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

check in with amazon frequently there's a seller called J&R Music and Computer world that routinely has them in stock. you won't get the 139 off but they are Also tax free depending on your state.

They ship from New York and mine was packaged very well. No complaints here.

20. friendchet, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

friendchet macrumors newbie

21. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

The use to be ban heavy - now they give warnings - I purchased several Amazon returned items (so they were from Amazon but used) and was not satisfied so I complained. Now my account is marked - o well. at least I still have an account.