Ordering Through AMAZON?

daveo123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego, CA
Anyone know if there will be preording for the new iPad on Amazon? Has there been in the past, like with the iPad 2? I have a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards and want to use them if I can.

madaski

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
I talked to a rep this evening and they said they have no timetable as to when it will be available. Just that they have to wait on their suppliers.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
They have sold the iPad 2 directly.
no. where are you getting this information? i have never seen amazon sell it directly. third parties like apple sell it through amazon's website.

i doubt you will be seeing it anytime soon from them. why not order it from apple? i don't see the benefit (in this case) from ordering through amazon.

daveo123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego, CA
i doubt you will be seeing it anytime soon from them. why not order it from apple? i don't see the benefit (in this case) from ordering through amazon.
No benefit. There is tax in CA on Amazon. If you read my original post you'd see that I have Amazon gift certificates that I would like to use toward it. I ordered direct from Apple and will use the Amazon gift certs for accessories if needed.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I was originally going to wait but Amazon doesn't well iPads.

Some 3rd party sellers do, but not Amazon directly so I don't see a preorder coming.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No benefit. There is tax in CA on Amazon. If you read my original post you'd see that I have Amazon gift certificates that I would like to use toward it. I ordered direct from Apple and will use the Amazon gift certs for accessories if needed.
Amazon has never sold the iPad. As others mentioned, some have been available from their "featured merchants" and you may be able to get one that way through Amazon with your gift certs.

Amazon does not collect sales tax for California purchases.

Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
They have sold the iPad 2 directly.
No, they haven't

I order from Amazon just about every week, and they NEVER charge sales tax for CA

preston181

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Apple has never sold the iPad. As others mentioned, some have been available from their "featured merchants" and you may be able to get one that way through Amazon with your gift certs.

Amazon does not collect sales tax for California purchases.
What this guy said. There are some "Fullfilled by Amazon" listings from time to time, and the benefit of free super shipping, but nothing directly sold by Amazon.

Jameswma

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
there is so much bad information on these forums, I'm glad there are people here to put these guys in check.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
as for the tax (someone else mentioned that), resellers usually mark up their tech products accordingly. i would not expect the ipad to sell in the early days for less than apple with tax (assuming a listing even appears in amazon).

as for amazon:
1. sign up for amazon prime,
2. shift your purchases of daily goods over to amazon,
3. and save yourself the trouble of buying toilet paper, dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, dog food, etc., etc. by getting it all delivered right to your door.

the money you save in groceries (now being bought with your gift cards on amazon) can be used for the ipad. heck, you can even watch a movie or two on amazon for free with your prime membership while you wait for the ipad to arrive in the mail :)