Ordering Through AMAZON?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daveo123, Mar 7, 2012.

1. daveo123 macrumors newbie

Anyone know if there will be preording for the new iPad on Amazon? Has there been in the past, like with the iPad 2? I have a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards and want to use them if I can.

2. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Amazon hasn't ever sold the iPad. A few of their marketplace sellers might stock it, but not Amazon themselves.

4. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

They have sold the iPad 2 directly.

5. madaski macrumors member

I talked to a rep this evening and they said they have no timetable as to when it will be available. Just that they have to wait on their suppliers.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

no. where are you getting this information? i have never seen amazon sell it directly. third parties like apple sell it through amazon's website.

i doubt you will be seeing it anytime soon from them. why not order it from apple? i don't see the benefit (in this case) from ordering through amazon.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

No tax :D

8. daveo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

No benefit. There is tax in CA on Amazon. If you read my original post you'd see that I have Amazon gift certificates that I would like to use toward it. I ordered direct from Apple and will use the Amazon gift certs for accessories if needed.

9. billhelm macrumors regular

They didn't sell the iPad 2 at launch, I know that much.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No they haven't. But they have shipped it **FOR** other sellers (sold by xxxx shipped by Amazon).

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I was originally going to wait but Amazon doesn't well iPads.

Some 3rd party sellers do, but not Amazon directly so I don't see a preorder coming.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Amazon has never sold the iPad themselves. It is unfortunate, but thats the story.

13. Weaselboy, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Amazon has never sold the iPad. As others mentioned, some have been available from their "featured merchants" and you may be able to get one that way through Amazon with your gift certs.

Amazon does not collect sales tax for California purchases.

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

No, they haven't

I order from Amazon just about every week, and they NEVER charge sales tax for CA

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You think people here would know over representatives from Amazon?

16. preston181 macrumors member

What this guy said. There are some "Fullfilled by Amazon" listings from time to time, and the benefit of free super shipping, but nothing directly sold by Amazon.

17. Jameswma macrumors newbie

there is so much bad information on these forums, I'm glad there are people here to put these guys in check.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

as for the tax (someone else mentioned that), resellers usually mark up their tech products accordingly. i would not expect the ipad to sell in the early days for less than apple with tax (assuming a listing even appears in amazon).

as for amazon:
    1. sign up for amazon prime,
    2. shift your purchases of daily goods over to amazon,
    3. and save yourself the trouble of buying toilet paper, dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, dog food, etc., etc. by getting it all delivered right to your door.

the money you save in groceries (now being bought with your gift cards on amazon) can be used for the ipad. heck, you can even watch a movie or two on amazon for free with your prime membership while you wait for the ipad to arrive in the mail :)