Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
My Pencil just got its Origin Scan in Nanjing. I ordered the iPad thru AT&T so I don’t expect to hear anything on that before Tuesday.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
Lucky people getting theirs on the 7th. Mine says 13th-16th. Do you think date might move up some since orders have started to ship? It would be nice to get it before the range I have been given.

mdarcelin

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
Congratulations to everyone receiving theirs early! The only items preparing to ship on my end are the pencil and the Smart Keyboard in my case.

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
When I ordred my iPhone XS Max the shipping didn’t show until the night before they had bunched a bunch of orders together shipped them to LA so my originating scan was for LA then to my home. I have a feeling the same is happening again. Rialto, CA was the originating scan not China.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
When I ordred my iPhone XS Max the shipping didn’t show until the night before they had bunched a bunch of orders together shipped them to LA so my originating scan was for LA then to my home. I have a feeling the same is happening again. Rialto, CA was the originating scan not China.

This was what I was hoping would happen with these iPads....that they would all be over here already and ship from the UPS hubs in Louisville and Ontario, CA. That way we wouldn’t have to deal with possible customs issues and other UPS issues that have come up in the past (ie just letting a whole shipment sit in China for 3-4 days for no apparent reason).

Looks like my wife’s pencil has an export scan in Shanghai. Our iPads and keyboards are sitting in Hong Kong still.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
This was what I was hoping would happen with these iPads....that they would all be over here already and ship from the UPS hubs in Louisville and Ontario, CA. That way we wouldn’t have to deal with possible customs issues and other UPS issues that have come up in the past (ie just letting a whole shipment sit in China for 3-4 days for no apparent reason).

Looks like my wife’s pencil has an export scan in Shanghai. Our iPads and keyboards are sitting in Hong Kong still.

My pencil has an export scan as well now! Still waiting on the iPad although it’s now ready for shipment. I’m likely returning it anyways though.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Why are you going to return it?

It’s a $1000+ Pro device with 4gb of ram. That’s unacceptable in 2018/2019. Hell, the iPad Pro in 2015 launched with 4gb of ram..

For something geared towards pros with desktop class apps being brought to the platform, I can’t see this working well after an iOS update or two especially

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
I can’t get worked up over the whole 4gb of ram thing myself. I’ve been using a 9.7 for a couple years now with only 2gb and it’s been fine for me. I have to believe Apple knows what they’re doing with how iOS manages memory. If they needed more ram then they would have put more in.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I can’t get worked up over the whole 4gb of ram thing myself. I’ve been using a 9.7 for a couple years now with only 2gb and it’s been fine for me. I have to believe Apple knows what they’re doing with how iOS manages memory. If they needed more ram then they would have put more in.

iOS is fine under 2GB for the most part. It is specific apps that have limitations imposed on them due to available RAM and that is the issue. It doesn't affect all but it does enough people to cause an issue.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
iOS is fine under 2GB for the most part. It is specific apps that have limitations imposed on them due to available RAM and that is the issue. It doesn't affect all but it does enough people to cause an issue.
more importantly it’s going to effect the people that Apple is marketing this new iPad to the most. It’s been pretty much exclusively marketed as a pro device with the introduction of pro desktop-class apps like photoshop and AutoCAD. Those are the people that will feel the shortcomings of apple skimping on the ram. I know I will. The people who are just buying this as an expensive iPad to do relatively basic things will never know the difference. Just feels like this could have been so much more but with apple skimping out on the ram it’s really going to hold it back in pro workflows. It’s just more aggravating due to the marketing and how they pitched the device during the presentation.
[doublepost=1541157328][/doublepost]
You’re probably not the user that this is geared to. General use is fine with the included ram but that’s also what the entry iPad is mainly meant for. They’re trying to separate the product line as a pro device and the lack of succificient ram for pro desktop-class apps is the limiting factor here.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
Lucky people getting theirs on the 7th. Mine says 13th-16th. Do you think date might move up some since orders have started to ship? It would be nice to get it before the range I have been given.
i'm looking at best buy. They have stock for nov 7.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Looks like my wife’s pencil is in Osaka, Japan now. Next stop will be Alaska I would assume.

Hopefully our iPads and keyboard folios will see movement this morning. I see there are two UPS flights this morning from Hong Kong to Anchorage this morning, UPS59 and UPS63. UPS63 just took off and 59 is scheduled within an hour. If they are on either of those flights we should see departure scans within the next couple hours. That’s all assuming they are going to go straight from Hong Kong to Anchorage...we’ll have a better idea of the typical flight paths after this batch starts moving.

Reactions: flur

jwill99

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
I signed up for text updates and received a notice this morning that there was an exception. When I go to the UPS site, it just shows that it is still sitting in Hong Kong, just like yesterday. Anyone know what they mean by exception?

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009

Well I stand corrected it won't be like my iPhone delivery... Originating scan:

Label Created 11/02/2018 9:37 P.M. China
Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Weight: 1.5 KGS = 3.3 LBS
[doublepost=1541166454][/doublepost]
I signed up for text updates and received a notice this morning that there was an exception. When I go to the UPS site, it just shows that it is still sitting in Hong Kong, just like yesterday. Anyone know what they mean by exception?

Probably waiting for the rest of it's group of iPads to ship with.

Reactions: jwill99

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
You’re probably not the user that this is geared to. General use is fine with the included ram but that’s also what the entry iPad is mainly meant for. They’re trying to separate the product line as a pro device and the lack of succificient ram for pro desktop-class apps is the limiting factor here.
I’m pretty sure the user these devices are geared towards will do just fine with 4gb RAM. Apple is aware that photoshop and autocad are coming. And we know that their upgrade cycle is 1.5 years. So these devices are designed to do just fine with those apps.

Reactions: artfossil

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
Current status:
11” Pro - Departure from EPZ, CN at 5:01am, 11/2
Pencil - Arrival at Shanghai, CN at 3:05 pm, 11/2
Keyboard folio - Order processed, Ready for UPS at 6:22pm, 11/1

If anyone cares....

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
For those that have pencils in Osaka japan right now, UPS has a flight going to Anchorage leaving very soon within minutes from now. The next flight doesn’t leave for another 12 hours. So could see departure scans in the next hour or so or won’t be until tonight most likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.