Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

running

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hello,

I want to learn to program in Cocoa and Obj-C (I know C and C++ a little and slightly, very slightly C#) and I absolutely love O'Reilly's books - and I found O'Reilly has one book about Cocoa and Obj-C, called "Learning Cocoa With Objective-C" - however, this book is from 2002. So, I want to ask - do anyone from you know how outdated this book is? and if it is OK to buy it?

I browsed few pages on google books, however, it is not complete on Google Books... so, do anyone of you know this book?

Thanks.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
The developer tools (mostly Interface Builder) changed significantly in Leopard, so you may have trouble figuring out specific steps from the book. However most of those issues have been solved in previous threads, so if you get stuck just search around here or post.

The most popular book is Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, which is being updated for Leopard, but I'm not sure when it'll be released.

twgil

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Before you buy a book, check out Apple's developer's website. The documentation is top notch. They have clear documentation and programming guides that go along with all API references. I've programmed on Apple and PC. The Microsoft developer's network is way more difficult to follow.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
Hello,

I want to learn to program in Cocoa and Obj-C (I know C and C++ a little and slightly, very slightly C#) and I absolutely love O'Reilly's books - and I found O'Reilly has one book about Cocoa and Obj-C, called "Learning Cocoa With Objective-C" - however, this book is from 2002. So, I want to ask - do anyone from you know how outdated this book is? and if it is OK to buy it?

I browsed few pages on google books, however, it is not complete on Google Books... so, do anyone of you know this book?

Thanks.

The 2002 date on it turned me away. I decided to start with Kochan's book Programming in Objective-C, which is turning out to be wonderful. I was thinking from there to pick up a Cocoa book as well, but I ain't no spring chicken anymore (relatively speaking) and seem to be getting along OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.