Organic LCD in new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benlee, Jun 1, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Anyone heard of this? Is this a rumor that I have missed?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

its OLED, its expensive, not really ready for mass use on any scale yet, so no, this is purely rumor

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also OLED has a short life span of less than 5000 hours at this time (work in progress). Of course this is not a big problem for phones

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

whoops forgot about that, i guess that ties in with it being in its infancy currently

5. phinnaeus macrumors member

I read somewhere they had upped the expected life expectancy to somewhere around a 20 thousand hours, let me go look for my source.

Yeah, this article says some experimental (obviously not ready for mass production, I'm just posting this for interest) OLEDs were created with a life expectancy of 62,000 hours minimum. The blue has always been the limiting color for some reason, and they last somewhere around 62,000 hours.

Article Link

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

There was a rumor about the iPhone having an OLED screen back in the day, but nothing been heard since. The advantages over LCD would be, better battery life, thinner/lighter, better refresh rate, and MUCH higher quality colors.

The disadvantages are price, resolution, and lifespan. Unfortunately, OLED is still new, thus expensive technology, and that 11 inch TV Sony sells only has a resolution of 960 x 540. The lifespan isn't really that bad, for Sony's *production* OLED TV (the 11 inch one that costs $2500), Sony claims 30,000 hours to lose half the brightness. Now, a separate company claims only 17,000 hours, but they only tested 1000 hours and based their results on that. But even if that's true, you could be actively using your OLED iPhone for 8 hours a day for more than 5 years before the screen was half as bright. Of course by then you'll need to send your phone in for a new battery anyways...

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Permanently on for 1 year = ~8,750 hours (24x365.25)
    Permanently on for 2 years = 17,500 hours

It's a possibility.