Organising Classical Music on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BeethovensPiano, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BeethovensPiano macrumors newbie

I've had a terrible time importing all my classical music into iTunes, they just don't get along well. Any tips you can offer on the best way to do organise it?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In what sense? Could you please provide more detail than 'not getting along well'?

Is it a problem with the importing of files? A problem with categorising? A problem with using the online CDDB database to fetch track titles?

What is happening or not happening when you're importing your CDs?

3. BeethovensPiano thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have explained better, everything imports fine and information is usually found in the CDDB database, although quite often it's incomplete.

It's more a problem of organising the music as iTunes is aimed at modern music. I'm getting my fist iPod this week and have been importing my music into iTunes.

Here's an example of what i've done so far. Ive organised it so that pieces of music appear as individual albums: eg

Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
    Album: Piano Concerto No.5 in E Flat (Op. 73)
    Name: 1. Allegro 2. Adagio etc as track titles
    Artist: London Symphony Orchestra
    Comment: name of Conductor and Soloist

I'm thinking of putting the conductor and soloist in the Album Artist field

When switching to Album view, each piece appears as a complete piece/album which is what I was aiming for. I'm just wondering if there is a better or easier way to do it?

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Unfortunately there is a lot of manual labour involved with iTunes… :eek:

The way you have been cataloging your music is just like I have been doing…

There is no easy answer…

Attached Files:

5. jialuolu macrumors regular

The problem I have with classical music and iTunes is with the Artists field. For example, I have

Academy of St. Martin in the Fields & Sir Neville Marriner
    Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Alfred Brendel & Sir Neville Marriner
    Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Alfred Brendel, Ingrid Haebler, Sir Neville Marriner & Wien Capella Academica
    Academy of St. Martin in the Fields & Alfred Brendel

So when going through my iPod in artist view, I can't see the entire artist name so it's pretty much a shot in the dark what I'm selecting

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Very true that. iTunes and the iPod's software design has some real problems for Classical music. (Same is true on Frontrow)
    I mean we only got gapless playback very recently — after years of complaints and pleas.

I have just kept to one artist's name and then use the Comment field for orchestra, conductor etc.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

There was an article in MacWorld magazine a couple of years ago with a lot of tips on organizing classical music. Check their archives--it was quite helpful in figuring out what works. Regardless of the system, though, you have to do some work.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The Album Artist field for some reason sometimes causes multiple album covers when using Coverflow… changing the compilation tick box doesn't help either. :(

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Strange, doesn't do that with my library

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sometimes I think I spend far too much time organising my iTunes library :eek: Cross-referenced, catalogued into playlists, folders…

PS. Akhenaten — great taste you've got ;)
    Back in 1991 through my headphones almost alone in the temple of Luxor. Just me & my Discman :)eek:) and the lights and shadows.

But I digress…