Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Hello guys -

I have an iTunes management situation in need of some creative solutions. I have 2 Macs:

- G5 which contains my main iTunes library and files on its internal hard disc
- Mac Mini 2011 (no DVD recorder) which I'm just setting up

In addition I have two nearly identical Toshiba external hard drives, 1Tb

I want to add a large number of new CDs in AIFF, so want to transfer the G5 library to one of the external hard discs (and then copy all the music files onto the second Toshiba for backup).

I'd then like to make a copy of the iTunes library on the G5 to the Mac Mini so i can access the music files on the external hard disc from either computer.

I have bluetooth on the G5 via an external adapter. I know nothing about connecting computers up with bluetooth but that could be another way to go.

So - creative ideas please!!!!

Best

Andy

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Bluetooth is not used for large data transfers. It's more for communication with devices like phones, mice, keyboards, etc. Just plug in the external drives directly to the G5 to transfer via USB or Firewire. Then you can plug them into the mini to transfer again. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone or backup drives.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. So it seems bluetooth doesn't link 2 computers. That sounds like Wifi or a hard wired router - I haven't explored linking computers yet.

I've started downloading my music files from the G5 to the external hard disc. That'll probably take a while. Hopefully I can then access them from the existing Library in the G5.

Next step then will be to copy the G5 library with all its playlists to the Mac Mini.

I'll report back!

Andy

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Getting further. I've downloaded my itunes media - 67Gb - to an external hard disc. The library is currently on my G5.

How can I copy this library to my Mac Mini so it reads the external hard drive the same way the G5 reads it?

Andy

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Getting further. I've downloaded my itunes media - 67Gb - to an external hard disc. The library is currently on my G5.

How can I copy this library to my Mac Mini so it reads the external hard drive the same way the G5 reads it?

Andy
You can simply copy the library files from the G to the mini. As I mentioned before, your library files are likely in a path similar to ~/Music/iTunes Libraries/ and will contain the .xml file, your Playlists and Album Artwork folders, etc. Just copy that whole folder to the same location on the mini.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Just an idea, but assuming that both machines are on the same network and the main one is left switched on, I would just keep the library stored organised on that one (via the ext HDD) and share the library over the network. Copying them is all very well to start with but you then have to keep them synchronised - add some tunes to the G5 and some to the Mac Mini and then you end up with a situation that's hard to unravel. Just don't forget to keep a separate backup..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.