Organization of 27" screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by simonsayz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. simonsayz macrumors newbie

simonsayz

Hi Guys,

I ended up buying a 27" monitor for my Macbook Pro, and was wondering how do you guys organize your workspace.

I can't seem to get the safari the right size for viewing while I have other apps running.

Everything just seem so ENLARGED :D

2. edanuff macrumors 6502

Try using a utility like Moom to lay out your windows. That's what I use on my MBP when plugged into a Thnderbolt Display.

3. simonsayz thread starter macrumors newbie

simonsayz

thanks. Hows Divvy compared to Moom? Not sure which one is better to go with. :rolleyes:

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I use the donationware app named Spectacle, others in my office use both Divvy and Moom.

I prefer Spectacle, and my wants/needs are simple. I can center/resize windows, move windows between monitors or within a Space, and make other changes with keyboard shortcuts. Customizable keyboard shortcuts, too.

And, FWIW, I also added a Keyboard Shortcut for the Finder Command "Zoom" to Control-Z in System Preferences. I'm a happy camper.

5. Johbremat macrumors regular

Can't offer a comparison, only because once I picked up Divvy my needs were met.

Global shortcuts are handy. Ability to setting margins is good too. I ask OS X to reopen windows when I restart my machine and everything is as I left it (the machine's doing versus Divvy's no doubt, but at least I know I don't have to faff with them any further).

They were quick to ensure full compatibility with 10.10 as well: hopefully something they'll continue to do with later releases.

If you decide to go Divvy, also know that pressing <Alt> will make the grid more granular.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Another vote for Moom. I've been using it for several years. It's now one of the first things I add to a new OS X install.

7. willydimes macrumors regular

I use better snap tool and its awesome for me. Best 2 bucks I've ever spent

8. unwyse macrumors newbie

Does it support desktop snapshots? I haven't the money to invest in Moom (yet), but absolutely love being able to use a keyboard shortcut to reset my desktops to a predetermined layout.

9. campyguy macrumors 68040

AFAIK, Spectacle does not support desktop or application snapshots. I still use Spectacle, and also use SwitchResX - a different utility altogether. Both utilities, used together, serve my needs. Good luck.