Organize Applications Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MoNsTeReNeRgY22 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and I haven't noticed much of a difference on my MacBook. Anyways, when I used to open my applications folder all my app icons were smaller and they would all fit in the box. Now when I open it, I have to scroll to get to the different apps. How can I change this back to what it used to be?

Thanks ahead of time!

ME

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you use Icon View (CMD+1)? If that is the case, there is a small slider on the bottom right of your Finder window to resize the icons. Then you can also use the context menu (right click) and select Clean up to rearrange the icons if necessary.

Btw, starting applications via Spotlight, Alfred (www.alfredapp.com) or Quicksilver is often much faster than using Finder or even the Dock. I use Alfred an I can start an application in less than two seconds.

3. MoNsTeReNeRgY22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac so I have no idea if I am using Icon view.

I also have quicksilver installed but havent had the time to use it yet.

4. simsaladimbamba

The following screenshot has a red rectangle around four icons, which represent ICON, LIST and COLUMN VIEW (CMD+1, 2, 3) and COVER FLOW (CMD+4) and as you can see, ICON VIEW is currently selected.

[​IMG]

5. MoNsTeReNeRgY22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the red box that you have in the screenshot, even when viewing in Finder.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Right click (or control-click) next to the title "Applications" and select Customize Toolbar....
    Follow the directions to drag what you want to the Toolbar. You won't get a red box, but you'll be able to get the things inside the red box. :apple:

7. MoNsTeReNeRgY22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see it now when I am in Finder, but I want it all to fit in the box when I am viewing my applications from the Dock if that makes any sense.

8. dangerfish macrumors 6502

When you say "box", I am assuming you mean Finder window. You just need to adjust the size of the application icons and make your Finder window larger. Then they will all be visible without having to scroll.

Also, I hope you arent going to to the applications folder to launch your applications. Use Spotlight.

Attached Files:

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I do. It hasn't fried the motherboard yet. :rolleyes:

10. spike5 macrumors newbie

Still don't get it

MonsterEnergy, Did you ever sort this issue out? I just got a SnowLeopard Mac and have the same complaint.

11. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Then maybe you could describe it better than has been thus far.

Are we actually talking about a "regular" Finder window here, or does this complaint perhaps instead refer to a Stack or Grid while viewing a folder (such as /Applications), when it's popped up from the Dock.

I.e., post #7 revealed:

12. spike5 macrumors newbie

Explanation

Ok, I can see how this is obscure if you don't find it a problem, whereas when I read MonsterEnergy's post I said "YES!!!"

So, on the Dock on the right-hand-side, i.e., to the right of the dashed highway line, there is a Folder with the letter 'A' for Applications on it. Clicking on this is the way I (and obviously MonsterEnergy) invoke applications that don't have an icon moored in my dock. After clicking on the 'A' folder, a bunch of icons appear for the applications in the Applications folder. In Leopard, they were small enough to all fit in one screen. In Snow Leopard they are ginormous and you have to scroll down to see them all. It's just irritating. Why did Apple make them bigger? They were already pretty big. There doesn't seem to be a way to make them smaller so they all fit in one screen. I tried all the options on the <ctrl>rightclick but there is nothing obvious, and no menu bar pops up. The only way to see them all is to click on the 'Open in Finder', but I prefer the icon display in this case.

Does this now make sense?

Thanks!

13. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Not by resizing the icons, no. But there's an even better way to make them fit on the screen: make your own Stacks (or Grids as i prefer to use). Screw the /Applications folder... create separate Grids for different stuff: frequent apps, frequent folders, frequent docs one uses for reference, whatever. The trick is to employ aliases. Start with a new empty folder somewhere (anywhere... maybe in your Library folder). Name that folder MyStacks or something. Then make more folders inside of it... perhaps named Browsers, Text, Graphics, Games, Utilities... etc. Then populate those folders with aliases to the stuff that matters. Finally, drag the MyStacks folder to the Dock (or maybe drag the subfolders instead). Get creative.

There seems to be a lot of similar threads here... but there is no icon resizing trick that i can find. Send any complaints directly to Apple... as they're the only ones who can "fix" that part (it seems).