Organize CSS - File points to other file?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by P-Worm, Oct 12, 2008.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm just wondering what the best way to organize a site full of CSS so that when style changes are made there is no need to revisit a lot of pages while still maintaining readability.

Right now, I have a single CSS file called main_style that has all of the style information for the overall site. Is it possible to make new CSS files that point to main_style and then amends that file? For instance, if I have a subgroup of pages that are supposed to look like the main style, but I want to add some extra style choices that apply only to that subgroup, but not to the rest of the site, can I make a file that will look up all of the information in main_style and then add the new choices? Obviously, I can make a new file and copy all of the main_style stuff into the new file and amend from there, but that makes the new file bigger than I would like and also means that I need to change both sheets if I want to change the style of the overall site.

Is there a clean solution to this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

P-Worm

2. Kaliemon macrumors member

Since CSS cascades any new style definitions will override or be appended to previous ones. So you could just import the main_style file on every page and then for the sub-group just import the file with the other styles.

Example
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
       @import "main_style_url.css"
       @import "subgroup_style_url.css"
    </style>
    The way you import the files (or link to them) is not important, just the order is. Just make sure the files containing styles to override the main_styles are imported after the main_style.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I just include multiple CSS files. I have my main one, then I add an additional one if it's in a specific part of the web site. Including multiple CSS files has the same effect as appending them together.