Organize Mounted Drives (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ErikAndre, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I have about 8-9 drives showing up on my desktop, ranging from HD's, Scratch Disk, Boot Camp Mount, Flash drive, Main drive, blah blah, mwah mwah...

Is there a way or a program that I can put all these mounted drives within one icon so as to unclutter my desktop?

2. newtech macrumors 6502

Counter-intuitive, why have them mounted if you don't want to see them.

3. trogdor! macrumors regular

yes, you can do that.

Make sure nothing is selected so the finder is the active window. Go to the "Finder" menu, go to "Preferences", the general tab will be the first set of preferences you can change about the finder. Right there you can uncheck what you would not like on the desktop. Hope that helps.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

It's not counter-intuitive. If you have a partitioned Windows drive, then all of a sudden you have several (in my case four) drives listed that are all for Windows. One icon per drive should be enough. I don't need to see every flippin' Windows partition.

Trogodor !, thanks for the tip. Will try that out on the MP shortly.

5. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Good call, but the available options are

- Hard Disks (which shows all the Mac formated drives/partitions)
    - External Disks (hides all firewire/usb/flash drives)
    - CDs, DVDs, and iPods (hides all Windows mounts :)D), but also takes out the DVD and CD mounts :eek:)
    - Connected Servers

I wish I could organize them... i guess the only alternative is to hide all of them and drag the drive I want to look at to the dock.