Organizing an NSArray by number

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HarryWorksInc, Sep 27, 2010.

1. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

Is there a way to organize an NSArray by number? I have been looking this up for a while but can't find anything.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't understand the question. An NSArray is already indexed by "number". Each item in the array is at a specific index.

Do you mean "Can I sort an NSArray of NSNumbers into increasing numeric order of the NSNumber values?"

3. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, let me clarify. I mean every object in the array is a numerical value, is there a way to sort all of the objects in the array by their numerical value?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you actually open the documentation? There are many sort operations on NSArray. I'd recommend:

sortedArrayUsingSelector:

and a suitable selector. If all your objects are NSNumbers then

compare:

If you have custom objects you'll have to write your own comparison method and use that selector.

5. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

sorry I was looking around those I just didn't find that I guess but thanks it works great.

One last question though I have dates stored in an array for another view and am trying to sort that by date I have looked over the links that you gave me but I could not see anything for that.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to look at whatever class you are using to store your dates and find a compare: or similar selector. If you can't find one you'll have to write one. It's not my job to do your research for you. Using the documentation is a core programming skill: learn it.

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

If you have an array of dates you can sort them the same way as an array of numbers. NSDate also has a compare: method.

All of the Foundation classes for which it makes sense to compare them or sort them have a compare: method and an array of them can be sorted by built-in methods.

8. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular