organizing/cleaning downloads folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I notice this folder is getting full, and realize, that I cannot keep everything in it or my hard drive will fill up, how do I keep it organized? & what if I need to install software again?

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

You can keep it organized by getting rid of files you don't use. You could always use an external hard drive to keep your .dmg files on and installation files for programs you use. This would free up space on your main hard drive.

- Kyle

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

download it again

I don't use the App Store, but I've read that once you buy it, you can get it again at no additional cost. There are probably some rules about that though.

4. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

He's correct, if you purchase something from the Mac App Store you can download it again for free - IF it's still in the Mac App Store. Apple has been known to discontinue selling app or programs so once you delete the .dmg you're out of luck.

My suggestion is get friendly with Automator. It's extremely easy to have it sort for you. For example here would be a way to group all your install files into a single folder:

1) Open Automator - Select Application
    2) go to Files & Folders
    3) Drag Get Folder Contents into the right workpane
    set your parameters to this
    Search: Downloads
    All of the following are true
    File Extension - Contains dmg - Make sure you don't put ".dmg"
    4) Drag Move Finders Items into work pane - Set your parameters to this
    To: Other... (Click Downloads - New Folder) Make your new folder for all install files

Go to File - Save... Save it as an Application then double click it anytime you want to clean up that folder. You can definitely expand this by repeating steps 3-4 to drop everything into folders (Music, Videos, etc)

Additional - Setup this process to autorun.
    1) Open iCal
    2) Create a new event for when you'd like the Clean up process to run (for the sake of this example lets say midnight)
    3) create a new event on midnight
    4) under alarm select Open file - choose the file you just created in automator.
    5) Set Repeat to once a week.

Voila you're messy download folder is never a problem again.