organizing files in iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by n.hubb22, Aug 18, 2011.

1. n.hubb22 macrumors newbie

I am new to mac's and I just picked up a 15" macbook pro. I also have adobe photoshop elements 9. I am trying to figure out how to organize pictures with the two programs. I want to be able to keep the original file (I usually shoot .raw files) while having the separate edited file for use. I just don't want to loose my original files in case i want to edit them a different way.

Thanks!

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

iPhoto works this way automatically. You don't need to do anything special. Just set Photoshop Elements as the external editing program in preferences.

3. n.hubb22 thread starter macrumors newbie

right on, thanks!!!

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you still want to have the original photo displayed in iPhoto, then duplicate it before editing.

When you edit a photo, iPhoto will display the edited version and put the original in a folder called "Originals". The only way that you can then see the original is to select the edited version and choose the "Revert to original" option, which will then replace the edited with the original.

It also puts the edited photos in a folder called "Modified". You can access these folders by digging deep in the iPhoto file structure, but this is not recommended as you can cause major iPhoto problems if these folders are messed with.