Organizing folders.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dimboom, Aug 24, 2008.

1. dimboom macrumors newbie

dimboom

In icon view. How can I set it so that there are just 3 columns of stuff in the downloads folder. Because I keep that window small. And I hate the horizontal scrollbar...

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You should be able to set the view options for the folder. I think Command J will do it.

As far the the horizontal scroll bar... what's to hate...if you have a Mac, it's really easy to navigate using your mighty mouse by simply scrolling side to side, or by using your two finger scroll if you're using a track pad on a notebook.

3. dimboom thread starter macrumors newbie

dimboom

Command J is useful I guess. I tuned it up a little. But horizontal bar is still there. =/

4. chipchen macrumors 6502

just size the windows to three columns... then go to "view" and "arrange by" whatever you want. that should do it.

5. dimboom thread starter macrumors newbie

dimboom

6. webraider macrumors member

Drag the window until you can see three columns and a small part of the fourth. Then from the view menu select "arrange by", I choose Kind.. but pick on. It will then sort it, OR.. from the View Menu select "clean up". It will then arrange all your icons to fit into the window. You may have to try dragging the corner of the window a few times to get it just right.

If the three columns will not allow you to have the window at the size you want.. then change the grid spacing from clicking the action menu inside the finder window, and choosing "view options", or you can find it from the "view" menu at the top of your screen. Change the grid spacing there. You can also control the icon size, and the size of the text for each icon.

I love icon view as it's an easiest way to manage files. I only wish that the Open and Save dialog boxes would work like the finder does, and I wish that Spotlights Search window at the top of the screen, would reveal where files are located, like the spotlight search does in the finder windows. I hope apple fixes all this.

7. dimboom thread starter macrumors newbie

dimboom

Thanks. I guess that works. It's kind of weird how this was made though... Stupid in a way. Anyways. Thanks guys. I actually ended up organizing everything into specific folders. So I don't really even need three columns anymore... But thanks. :D