Organizing in a window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soundhound, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I'm taking some online courses, and the material is comprised of wep pages, mp3s, quicktime movies, etc etc.

I'm downloading all of it for future reference, and wanting to keep it all within a folder, in the order it is presented on the site. What's the best way to do this? Viewing by Name or Kind doesn't work of course, viewing by Date Modified works pretty well, as long as I download everything in order. But how can I have more control, so I can have all the files in a folder, arranged exactly in the order I want them to be arranged?

thanks!

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

If you want to sort by Date Modified, I believe there is a Terminal command that can edit the date to some point in the future (I did it for the bin icons in my stacks). Google it some...I can't remember the exact command.

EDIT: Here's one that might be easier. Its an AppleScript: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060703160750583

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I think what I'm wanting is to be able to keep the items in the folder in any order at all, without writing code or changing dates. Is that possible?

4. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Couldn't you just rename them? That's what I do. A lot of the stuff I download have stupid and long names so I rename them Week 1, Week 2, etc.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I could. But there are lots of files, lots of different sections to each week, lots of different kinds of files. I can do workarounds like renaming etc, I just wondered if there wasn't a way to set it up so that I could move them around as they are and they'd stay put...

maybe icon view or something like that??