Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexQQQ

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Hi-

I am trying to delete an application icon in my menu bar (the top right with the little icons for battery, sound, airport, finder, date and time).

For apple applications the command and drag (and move works) is good, but the others don't respond (installed a canon printer/scanner).

So, how do I delete (which is what I want now) or move them around (for future) the icons?

Thanks and much appreciated.

Alex

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The menu bar area isn't very documented for programmers, so non-Apple menu bar items won't behave the same as the Apple ones. Like you can't click on one and use the left right arrows to browse to the 3rd party menu bar items.

Some 3rd party menu bar items do behave like this (like iStat menus) because they have a 3rd party framework that makes them similar to the apple items.

With the explanation out of the way, the only way to organise these horrible menu bar icons is to open them in the order that you want them to appear. You may have to quit the app that is operating the icon.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Moving around can be done via CMD+draggingItAround, removing should be done via the preferences of the program that put it there, which you might even be able to access by clicking on that icon.

AlexQQQ

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Opened the application (a canon scanner/printer), it doesn't have preferences (I didn't know that some application don't have preferences...learning all the time). I really hope I am not stuck with the icon (a minor blemish). Thanks for your help so far.

Alex

AlexQQQ

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
yes, I want to remove (delete) the icon from the menu bar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Alex

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If you open up Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities). At the top is a drop down menu that probably says 'My Processes'. Change it to 'All Processes'.

In the columns, sort by Real Memory, with the largest at the top. Then take a screenshot and post it here.

AlexQQQ

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Removed the icon on menu bar. All I had to do was go to the system preference>accounts and remove the program that starts the icon on login. Presto! Much cleaner looking now.

Thank you for all your help.

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.