Organizing my files/folders & the home folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discofuel, Mar 15, 2010.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I want to organize my files/folders in a specific way, rather than use the standard folders in the 'home folder', and wondering how to set this up.

What's the best way to create my own 'master' folder and choose the exact folder structure?

For example I want to have my Music, Video and Pictures folders all inside a folder called Media. And I don't want things like library, documents, public and sites in my master folder.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Create it on the Desktop and don't worry about ~/Users/yourUserName .

Changing this stuff, especially Library, is going to create a mess. Just don't do it.

3. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks - I was thinking I'd have to use the music folder but I guess I can put my music anywhere.

What about sharing music with bootcamp? Can you share any folder with read and write access?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have Snow Leopard at the ready. I'm going to wipe a 500GB drive and am considering partitioning. Does it make any sense to put 366GB of iTunes music on one partition and System/Applications on another?

Will I have annoyances when adding files to iTunes?

6. coops macrumors regular

I created a folder '1_My Data' directly under my 'Macintosh HD' device. The preceeding '1' keeps it at the top above Applications, Users and all the rest.

Then all my data goes under that folder in whichever folder.... folders for Music, Video, Library, Work etc etc ( I've also put a number in front of those folders to keep them arranged as i like).

iTunes will either manage your music itself, if you like that kind of thing, or you can try and tell it to just use your files as is. I use Songbird, no problem.

Coops