Organizing photos in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anjinha, May 23, 2007.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How do you organize your photos in iPhoto?
    It confuses me a bit. It makes a folder with the originals, modified and thumbnails and I wanted it a bit more simple. I like the ability to make albums though, since I'm used to using playlists in iTunes.

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

with iPhoto, you kinda hafta ignore how it's organized in finder. organize your photos within the app, and you'll see how easy it is!

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Try highlighting a group of photos and selecting Create Film Roll. This lets you split your photos up into different "rolls" which are similar to folders. This is how I like to organize my photos.

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Its so anoying they way iphoto organizes the picture.

5. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

But I don't like the idea of having 3 different versions of the same picture: original, modfied and thumbnail. If I have a lot of high-quality photos that will take up some space. Is there anything I can do about that?

6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

A really intuitive way to organise pictures is to tag them (keyword assistant is great for that) and then organise them with smart folders. E.g. I have pictures of friends and pictures of family and I put them in a smart-folder called people, or I give a different keyword for each friend (Nico, Steve, etc.) and put them in a smart-folder called friends. As soon as you get a routine going, you'll have your whole digital life organised in no time :)

And yes, stay away from Finder.

7. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I have folders (i.e., School, Vacations, Events, etc.) and then albums within those folders (i.e., Summer Vacation 06, WWDC 05, etc.).

NickD

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of iPhoto in the finder. You will create havoc. iPhoto likes to organize the finder in its own way, and if you mess with it, you will certainly corrupt photos, lose photos, etc. Just do what ero87 said, and you will be fine. Just stay out of the finder!

It is really easy to organize your photos in iPhoto. The suggestions for folders and then albums is excellent. I also rename my film rolls to reflect what is on that roll -- sort of a first-line organization. You can also move photos from one roll to another for greater organization. For instance, I move most photos of my cats to one roll, regardless of when they were taken (the info pane will tell me that). Then I know that a single roll contains all the cat photos. Same for trips I take. While traveling, I often download photos to my MacBook during the trip, then erase the card in my camera so I have more room. Then download again after more photos. Then I combine those rolls so that they are all in one place, and the roll is named for the location of the trip.

Just stay out of the finder -- you will be very unhappy if you don't!

9. MRoss macrumors newbie

How do I do this?