Organizing photos on the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

How do you guys organize photos? It just seems very cumbersome to find photos because there's no way [that I know] to organize them in to folders?

I'd like to be able to take a photo with the camera and put it into a folder called "friends" or whatever. Do you guys/gals know how to carry out something like this or is there a program within the app store?

It would also be nice to be able to hide or password protect some photos. I've seen one program that give you a password folder or something like that however after reading about the program you actually uploaded them onto their server, which is not what I want.

Ideas?

2. azhava macrumors regular

I don't know of any apps that do it - everything just goes into the Camera Roll.

The only work-around I can think of would be to set up an account somewhere like Flickr and get one of the apps that allows uploading/viewing your pics there. You could organize the photos on your Flickr (or whatever) page, then use the app to view them on the iPhone.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info...I've got a mobile me account but it just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Apple allows us to organize our music however we can't organize our photos? It just seems dumb to make us flip thru hundreds of photos to find one.

4. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Easy fix.

Mac: Sync your phone to iTunes. The photos will sync to iPhoto. Place them into events as you see fit. Create albums if you wish then place the pics in the albums. Re-sync the iPhone (check photos tab first to ensure you are getting the albums / events you want synced from the Mac to the iPhone.

Windows: Open up My Documents / My Pictures. The connected iPhone shows as a device. Click on it. Move the photos into the albums you created in My Pictures. Re-sync the i Phone (Check the photos tab to ensure you are getting the albums you want synced over from the PC.

I do the Mac all the time this way, but it's been almost a year since I used a PC in this manner (to sync), so that info may be a little fuzzy or I might've missed a step. YMMV.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

In case you don't use iPhoto, you can do the same thing mentioned above, by organizing photos by folder on the Mac. Use iTunes interface to instruct what to do. Folder names on the Mac are converted to button names on the iPhone and are not part of the camera roll. Press a button, see the related pics.

One thing is that photos within a folder will not show up in a controllable sequence. I once took the time to rename photos to show up in a particular order, did the upload, and the photos arrived in an unexpected sequence. I think the iPhone organized them by shoot date and time.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the useful information. I use a Mac and unfortunately have iPhoto but find it to be cumbersome to figure out.

I think there should be a way to organize our photos natively on the iPhone, kind of how we organize our applications into folders.

7. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

The problem with this method is that when the photos are copied back to the iPhone, they are resized to smaller images. For some that doesn't matter but for me I sometimes email the photos at a latter date and want the full res photo available.

8. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

This is true, but my workaround is that if I want to email the original full res photo out, I do it from my Mac and attach the original photo instead of forwarding from my iPhone.

I may forward the iPhone re-sized pic, and if that is not sufficient, then I would send the full res one.

Great point rstark18.

9. Jusfer macrumors member

You might want to reconsider using a File app. There is no server issue: your computer works as the server, uploading the images to your iPhone files app by WiFi. Nothing needs to go or will go to another entity's server and be out of your control.
    These file apps usually also have a locking feature to secure private images (or other files, for that matter).

I have the Files app installed and am happy with it (but don't know other similar apps for the iPhone).

PS: my file app accepts image files of any size, if I want to. That way, I can zoom in as much as I need to and still have a good resolution. That's another benefit.

10. GR8DAME macrumors newbie

Mobile Me Info

I paid for a Mobile Me account for all three of my family's iPhones. It was a total waste of $300.00. It didn't do anything that the advertisements said it would. I just wanted to organize my pictures.

I did a search, and there was a youtube video about organizing iphone pictures into folders. The guy said that there is an application called photosort, and it allows you to move them into folders, name the folders and the pictures. I haven't tried it yet but I thought I would at least share what I found out.
    Good Luck!