Organizing TV Shows in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Polska, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Polska macrumors member

Hello All,

Now with my new iMac I started ripping my DVD boxes from my favourite TV shows and I noticed that no matter how much I edit the info of the files, the episodes are never categorized as TV Shows but as movies in my Library inside iTunes. Is there anyway to change that so my files would be better organize or only episodes bought by iTunes Store goes to the category?

Thanks!
    Erick Pessôa

2. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

3. thegilly macrumors member

Tty Lostify, for processing video files before you ad 'em to iTunes.

You can also change a file from one library to another within iTunes by going to Get Info and then changing "Video kind" or "Media kind" depending whether you've updated to the latest iTunes. But if you're going to do it within iTunes, the script mentioned in the previous post is the way to go--and while you're on that site, have a look around for other useful scripts. Super-remove Dead Tracks is brilliant if you ever do what I do, and delete files remotely from another Mac. Make Bookmarkable is wonderful if you ever convert text files to speech and want them to register in iTunes as audiobooks. New Playcount is good for those odd occasions where you manage to get hold of a better quality version of something and you want to give the new one the same playcount the old one had. There's a whole heap of good stuff on that site.

4. Polska thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the tip! I wonder only if there is a way to get the info (episode description, cast, aired date and so on) from IMDB or the net. I already started organizing my DVD ripped collection. I still have one more question; before moving from Brazil to Germany I ripped all my DVDs (hell of a work, I have to say considering it were 800) into Xvid format so it would fit more in the 3 Hard disks that I was bringing. Now here I have more space and I would like to convert them to M4V so it would be "accepted" by iTunes. Would you recommend any batch converter to do this "migration"?

Thanks!
    Erick Pessôa
    Thank you very much once more for the help.

5. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

MetaX is exactly what you need!
    Really easy to use. (+ free). Only works for mp4 files though but these are recognised by itunes.

6. jon31rm macrumors member

Just do it in iTunes 8. It's built in.

Right click - get info - options tab - media kind

Now you can change info for multiple files at a time. Awesome addition.

I used to use MetaX, but now you can edit descriptions in iTunes as well, so theres no use for MetaX for me anymore. Just depends on how much info you want to add.