Organizning Compilations/OSTs in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LochRaven, Jun 1, 2009.

1. LochRaven macrumors newbie

I am a bit OCD about my iTunes library being organized, so I am struggling with getting compilations organized. I recently got a great compilation with a bunch of my favorite artists on it, but I don't want the songs on the compilation mixed in all over my iTunes, I just want it to be listed together as one album. I've googled this one, and have all the songs on the compilation checked as "Part of a Compilation", additionally, under preferences, I have "Group compilations when browsing" checked.

I thought this should have solved the problem, and it works fine if I'm browsing by album, but I generally browse by artist. I can't stand all those repeats of the same album cover throughout my cover view! I'm using iTunes 8.0.2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In the info window for tracks go to "Sorting"- I believe you can specify a string that iTunes will use to sort the desired tracks.

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Enter "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you put the album artist in as the name of the album it will condense all the artist under one album cover. See screen shot.

You will still have a cover for each artist if you are doing cover flow thou. This was the only way that I found to get all the artist under one album cover.

Attached Files:

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you are in coverflow mode, you can click the column header for "Album" multiple times. One of the selections is "Album by Artist". There is also "Album by Year" (which sorts Albums by Artist then Year).

Either of these settings keep compilations together (if you've checked the Compilation checkbox).

6. carlcosby macrumors member

Does this apply to tv shows

Hi,

I have TV shows such as house and one tree hill (for the mrs), how do I work it so that I have one artwork for multiple episodes of the same series, as like the OP states, I dont want multiple pics for the same season if you get what I mean. Thanks

Carl

7. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Get info on all the songs in the compilation and put the Album Artist as Various Artists. Then under "Sorting" sort Artist as "Compilations".

That will make it so it only shows up under Compilations. And if you have a song by The Prodigy in a compilation and in their studio albums for example, the songs on the compilation won't show up when you choose The Prodigy from the artists.

EDIT: Didn't realize this thread was so old. I don't collect TV Shows, but I'm guessing it works fairly similarly!