Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Just wanted to share my experience of the Origami Workstation, which arrived today with an Apple wireless keyboard!

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, it's basically a case for the Apple wireless keyboard that neatly and quickly folds out into a sturdy iPad holder. The result is a 'workstation' that allows you to type on your iPad at full speed, perhaps enabling it to be used as a full-on computer by many. Apple's wireless keyboard is so tiny that this, I feel, makes a good alternative to an 11" MacBook Air given the exceptional iPad battery life and the fact that you still get to use the iPad as a tablet when you just want to read a book or watch a movie.

It's the number 1 rated accessory on the UK Apple Online Store and I can now see why. If only the Apple wireless keyboard/iPad combination worked with OS X shortcuts this thing would be too good!

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I have the Origami Workstation and rely upon it whenever I travel or the iPad is sitting on my desk (as it does about 90% of the time.) It's a great accessory if you use the Apple Wireless Keyboard. I prefer the OW/AWK combination to cases that include a keyboard for two reasons. The AWK is a better and larger keyboard than most of the combo keyboard/iPad cases. Second, since the OW is separate from the iPad I can choose whether to carry the keyboard or not.

Should be noted that there is an alternative to the OW/AWK combination for less money. Logitech makes a keyboard and case for the iPad that is a similar concept. Like the OW, the keyboard case forms a stand for the iPad (though not as imaginatively) and the keyboard, like the AWK, is near full-size. The entire combination including the keyboard runs about $70 compared to the $100 or so for the OW and AWK.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I've been watching and reading reviews on this lately. I wish apple would release a keyboard case with a multi touch track pad. I have a MacBook pro but have been toying with the idea of going completely iOS. I just don't like the idea of folding up the keyboard and the iPad separately when I hit the road.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Yeah I have had it for a while and it's awesome, The only thing which would make it better would be for Apple to update iOS to make better use of keyboard shortcuts with the AWK such as using some of the buttons which don't do anything with the iPad at the minute to allow us to go back home etc and also update pages as you can't use CMD + B, CMD + U etc for Bold & Italics.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
iOS could definitely be improved to handle keyboard shortcuts I agree. Perhaps doing so would somehow mar the purity of iOS as a touch-OS in Apple's eyes, but I found it interesting that copy/paste is implemented. With little effort things like creating new tabs in Safari, switching apps, and returning to the homescreen could be implemented too.

I deliberately went this way after having bought keyboards for other devices in the past that turned out to be huge disappointments. I use the current-style Apple keyboard all day and evening, so to use the same one on the iPad is a massive advantage. Perhaps they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I do about 95 WPM on Apple keyboards and I'm more than happy with that!

One thing I really like about the Origami Workstation is that it's a stable-enough iPad stand to allow touch use of the iPad without worrying about knocking the whole thing over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.