Original 16 GB iPhone - Doesn't turn on. Nothing I can do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Sep 10, 2008.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My original 16 GB iPhone won't turn on. The Apple logo just stays on the screen, when you try to turn it on. Furthermore, if you try resetting it, again the Apple logo just stays on.

if you plug it into the computer, the Apple logo just stays on. Is it dead?

Also, I was just using it as an iPod becuase I have a 3G phone now. Will Apple still fix it for me? Thanks.

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Yes they will, since you are still under warranty.

3. rogers106 macrumors member

I'm not too familiar with the issue personally, but I have heard of "Apple Logo of Death." There are a number of different threads about that here/on the internet elsewhere, so dig around.

It sounds like if you hold the "Home" button while plugging in the USB cable, the phone will enter recovery mode, and once it's done recovering your issue may be solved. I've also heard that performing a jailbreak is another way to get out of this, but I'm not too sure about that.

A quick Google search led me here:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/08/08/fix-iphones-apple-logo-screen-of-death-with-recovery-mode

Good luck

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. Never had it happen before either. Apple Support just told me the same thing, before I read your advice. Thanks so much. I'm trying to do the restore now, after going into the recovery mode. I'll see if that works.

I'm just still nervous, if they'll fix it, if it was broke, since it isn't used as a phone anymore, but not hacked.

Thanks again. Good information.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Apple's website clearly states that the phone doesn't even need to be activated in order for the warranty to apply.

6. rogers106 macrumors member

Do be sure to follow up and let us know if it works.

It helps in the future if someone comes here and searches for "Apple Logo of Death" looking for advice.

Glad I could help.