Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An original Apple Computer Inc. sign created around 1978 with Apple's well-known rainbow logo is set to be auctioned off later this week.

applecomputerincrainbowsign.jpg

Measuring in at four feet by five feet, the sign is said to be one of the earliest Apple retail signs and was displayed by an Apple authorized reseller who first learned about Apple after attending a 1976 computer conference.

The sign is yellowed and the description says there are "a few surface marks," but overall, the rainbow colors are said to be bright and in good condition. The sign will be auctioned by Nate D. Sanders Auctions on March 26, and the starting price is $20,000.

Article Link: Original 1978 Apple Computer Retail Sign With Iconic Rainbow Logo Being Auctioned Off

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I do wonder if that is a font or just done by a designer? That would make for an awesome font.

Also Apple needs to go back to the rainbow logo. It's way better than anything since.

Reactions: japanime
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I do wonder if that is a font or just done by a designer? That would make for an awesome font.

Also Apple needs to go back to the rainbow logo. It's way better than anything since.

No thanks.

The logo, as you can see in earlier video of Apple Park today on the front page ... seems to represent more of a different meaning than what it originally meant. That can sort of alienate a few customers/users. I don't like to have a bright multi-coloured logon on my Mac or iPhone or iPad like what Google and Microsoft has always pushed. Heck even Microsoft (on the Surface lineup) is moving away from colours.

Not to mention it ads cost to letterhead, official correspondence documents, print ads etc as colour matching is a big deal for corporations.

Comment

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
I think this original version looks fantastic! The Apple shape especially - it isn’t “overthunk” to be over-complex to make some marketing grad feel like their education is actually worth something... it’s just a simple design, with simple coloring that represented something “different” from status quo. That’s far more meaningful and far more valuable than conforming to so-called “professional design expectations.”
The old logo truly represents the pioneering spirit of Apple.
This sign will look passively fitting in the game room or office space of someone who has been very ‘financially’ successful.

Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Not to mention it ads cost to letterhead, official correspondence documents, print ads etc as colour matching is a big deal for corporations.

True, and not only that, if you remember the color logo insert in the cases, it would always look cheap because they had to paint 6 colors on a curved surface and they'd almost always get the registration wrong.

Reactions: StPete and DeepIn2U
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
$20,000 starting? It will probably exceed well above that, it’s a piece of history to what the company used to be from its inception, and somebody who appreciated the Steve Jobs era will find value in this.

Reactions: rami0074
Comment

macguru212

Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
NYC/Tokyo
If I was rich I'd bid for this no problem!

I'll have to settle for my old magazine ads of Apple (the old timey country store style they once used).

Attachments

• Apple_1_Advertisement-rear-2.jpg
    Apple_1_Advertisement-rear-2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 53
Comment

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I used to have a big stack of stickers with that logo and type that I got back in 1993 or so from Apple's booth at a trade show. They might be worth a little cash now, if I still had them.

Comment

torontotim

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
Still have the original rainbow decal from my Macintosh Portable from 1991. The computer is in the closet in its original carrying case.

Maybe I’ll put the decal in a tiny frame and auction it off ;)

EF39B41A-DC1F-48B2-9EE6-671D75BF924C.jpeg

Reactions: japanime
Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

Came here to say basically the same thing. That's a stellar font.

As for the rainbow logo, seeing it takes me back to when I was kid in NorCal, where VW bugs and buses with rainbow Apple logo stickers and Grateful Dead decals on the rear window were ubiquitous.

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've got some of the old display plastic POS inserts from Circuit City. I wonder how much they would be worth. I imagine they are kinda rare. I also have a custom banner created for a conference that Apple cancelled out on at the last minute. It was made by a kite company in my home town. I saw it and wanted to buy it, but the owner said that he kept it up to tell the story about how Apple stiffed him for making it, saying they refused to pay him for it. Somehow, my GF at the time got him to part with it, as I got it for my birthday that year. Pretty cool, I have to say...

Oh, and an original Apple t-shirt. It's a little 'pre-worn' though... I don't know why they don't do more stuff like Microsoft does with their 'company store'. *shrug*
[automerge]1585076315[/automerge]
I wonder how much this is worth.

View attachment 900934

WOW! I can't imagine... 😍
[automerge]1585076356[/automerge]
Still have the original rainbow decal from my Macintosh Portable from 1991. The computer is in the closet in its original carrying case.

Maybe I’ll put the decal in a tiny frame and auction it off ;)

View attachment 900921

I had a whole sheet of Next stickers. They got ruined moving. *sad*
[automerge]1585076536[/automerge]

An original Apple Computer Inc. sign created around 1978 with Apple's well-known rainbow logo is set to be auctioned off later this week.

applecomputerincrainbowsign.jpg

Measuring in at four feet by five feet, the sign is said to be one of the earliest Apple retail signs and was displayed by an Apple authorized reseller who first learned about Apple after attending a 1976 computer conference.

The sign is yellowed and the description says there are "a few surface marks," but overall, the rainbow colors are said to be bright and in good condition. The sign will be auctioned by Nate D. Sanders Auctions on March 26, and the starting price is $20,000.

Article Link: Original 1978 Apple Computer Retail Sign With Iconic Rainbow Logo Being Auctioned Off

It's still at $20,000. Ends Thursday 5p pacific.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.