Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snagitseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I have the original 22" Apple Cinema Display with DVI-D connector (not ADC) connected to an old G4 AGP and want to use it for awhile with a new Mac Pro. Will it connect and work with the new 8800 GT dual-link DVI video card; will I need an adaptor? Also, when I get a new dual-link monitor, will I be able to use both at the same time with the one card?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If it has a DVI-D connector it will work fine with a new Mac Pro. As long as you have the appropriate DVI cable (the one you have now should work) then it'll work as-is.

If you buy a new monitor that requires dual-link then you can keep using both screens off a single 8800GT. Dual-link does not mean it uses both DVI ports. It uses two TDMS links on a single port. Both ports on the 8800GT are dual-link meaning you can run any combination of 2 screens you want: 2 single link, 1 single link + 1 dual link or 2 dual link.

snagitseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the fast reply

I knew that the DVI-D connector appeared to be the same but wasn't sure if pin assignments/configuration had changed in the last 6 years through iterations of DVI-D, ADC, back to DVI-D and dual link DVI-D.

I can't decide if I want to get a 23" or a 30" so thought that since the picture is still pretty good on my original 22" ACD I would use that for awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.