Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djvalhalla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Hello everyone,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your time. I recently bought an AppleTV (the original 40G version from 3 or so years ago) off eBay, and I wanted to know whether there have been any hardware updates (excluding increase in HD space) to the AppleTV line.

From what I was able to find, the only updates to the line have been in software, and in HD space. So am I right to assume that aside from those two things the hardware remains the same?

I want to install Boxee/XMBC on my AppleTV, and I just want to make sure that it'll work after I install the software updates. Also, I went with the 40g because it's cheaper, and I will be feeding video via wireless/network/external HD--I hope to do this via the patch.

Again, I would like to thank you a lot for all of your help and for your time! have a great day everyone!

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Your 40GB unit is running the most up-to-date software (assuming you have updated the software). The only difference with newer models is the HD size.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
As stated above, there as been no updates to the Apple TV on the hardware side...sadly.:(

Based on Apple's comments about it, a new Apple TV will come, but that might not be anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.