Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redwingsoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I purchased the original iPad last year when it was released. Now I would really like to get the iPad2 on Friday when it is released. I was wondering if all my purchases on the original iPad will transfer to my new iPad2? I don't want to have to buy the iWorks apps. again along with games and books. Also I have created worksheets in Numbers for my budget and banking accounts. Will I be able to transfer all of this to the new iPad?

I have only owned the iPad and iPod Touch so I am not real familiar with the licensing Apple uses. I will be getting more familiar with it because I am going to purchase the mac mini and a macbook this year.

Thanks for all your help on these forums. You guys/gals know your stuff and have made my purchase decisions easy.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yes, your apps and other stuff should transfer just fine. When you get home, hook up your iPad to your computer and follow the instructions.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Yes, you can transfer those purchases to your new iPad. Just make sure you have them organized in iTunes on the machine you sync to--if you purchased them on the iPad directly you need to transfer them.

As for documents, I don't have numbers, but there should be two routes. First is to backup your existing iPad, and then restore that to your new iPad. Second option is to grab individual documents from the Apps tab in iTunes for your device.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
App purchases are tied to your Apple ID, so you could theoretically own hundreds of iPads (and iPhones, and iPod Touches), purchase an App only once, then sync it to your hundreds of devices.

The key word here is sync. Choosing to live in the Apple ecosystem means there are a few habits (or "necessary evils", depending on who you ask) with which one must choose to live. The main habit (with an iPhone/iPad) is to regularly BACKUP AND SYNC, which means having a central hub (i.e., a computer with iTunes) on which you store your backups and content.

I run into so many people that do not get this concept, and it typically comes in the form of this question:
How do I get these songs/apps/videos from my friend's computer onto my iPhone?
Often followed by:
I plugged it in and did the sync thing, but now all my other stuff is gone?

My overly-verbose point is:
1. choose a single computer
2. load all content (songs/videos/apps) into iTunes on that computer
3. sync (and backup) often with that computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.