Original Apple 8GB eBay ram upgrade batch compatibility?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tri-stan, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Tri-stan, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

Tri-stan macrumors 6502

The best way to beat the prices if you want 16GB of ram is to buy ram pulled from iMacs off eBay. I just bought some for a great price and will fit it in my new 27 iMac when it's here in a few weeks time. Question, althought the ram will be compatible and should be running in duel channel will there be any benefit using matched ram that was all manufactured in the same batch?

Option 1: batch 1240 2x4gb + batch 1248 2x4gb running in duel channel pairs

Option 2: batch 1248 4x4gb running in duel channel pairs

It would be nice to have fully matched ram. What do you think?

2. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I would expect problem free operation . . . provided that the RAM purchased from flea-Bay is exactly what it is represented to be, removed from a late 2012 iMac.

[​IMG]

3. Tri-stan thread starter macrumors 6502

Whever you buy your ram do you prefer that it is all from an identical batch as in a memery kit (same wafer) or mix diffrent ages of ram but keeping the same manufacturer?

I have bought ram in the past and you can see that the ram has changed design slightly so I prefer that it was exactly the same.

I sopose if I present the new ram next to that of the iMac and as long as it all matches up with the serial numbers apart from the batch numbering etc it should be okay. I am suprised that not more people prefer genuine apple ram.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Your ram is having a duel? Let us know who wins. ;-)

5. Bear macrumors G3

Either option is fine. The batch number doesn't matter.

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Love your photo, haha. It's true, eBay was once a fabulous place to shop and sell, and now it's turned into one big scammers paradise. I hate to take the crotchety bitter view, but I was a powerseller for 9 years, and 2 years ago the fraud started going up. People buy stuff then claim they never receive it, and even with a tracking number eBay\PayPal 100% sides with a buyer. One time I sold an iPhone, someone claimed they didn't get it, and then I tracked it to their house via FindMyPhone, and the address and person's name were the same... eBay says "Take them to court" ... absurd, they make their money and provide no protection.

Seriously people, be careful what you buy on eBay... people lie about stuff all the time, especially memory and things that are easy to change labels on, or mail you then blame user error for it not working. Shame that it's come to that :-(

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

eBay has been feeling the backlash on this of late and is more frequently siding with sellers. I just had a buyer wait 35 days to claim they never rcvd the item and had communicated with me and I didn't respond. Once I showed that never happened and I used eBay FedEx shipping the claim was resolved in my favor the same day I escalated. So shady buyers aren't always the winner.

Cheers,

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah because they lost so much business their stock has taken a hit and they realize that buyers now know they usually side with them. Will have to see how it plays out.

9. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I purchased 8Gb from another member here, using the Marketplace sub-forum. Paid him using Paypal, and he mailed me the RAM he pulled from his 27" iMac. Simply stuck it into the two empty slots, and it works perfectly fine. I've had over two weeks of up time, with several million page ins and 0 page outs.

10. Tri-stan thread starter macrumors 6502

eBay a few year back decided that it was going to focus on business sellers and shy away from the private listing hence the much reduced and hudden bidding style now enforced currently. I have had a fee times had to refund the buyer because they said it never turned up, they see thatbitbin not signed for and try saying it never arrived. Still if you know your way round eBay you can pick out the honest personal buyers from the crooks, but you can't stop the crooks buying from you.

----------

Yeah I think it is over engineering trying to match the batch numbers as well. As another member has said stability has not been a problem. If the ram that comes with the iMac is physically different thought I will sell it and buy another one with the latest batch numbering.