Original Apple ATI X1900 XT ROM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rokusaburo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Hey gang, I've already posted on another thread, but I"m kind of in a panic here!!

I was trying to flash my new XFX 4890 card via BootCD, but I'm pretty sure I flashed my X1900 instead. Anyway, when I turn my machine on now with the X1900 plugged in, the fan goes crazy and nothing comes up on my display.

I can still access my Mac Pro via screen sharing though which gives me hope that I can re-flash my X1900 with the original Apple ROM.

So if anyone has a copy, you would be a LIFESAVER!!

Also, any tips on whether or not something else could be the problem? When I go to System Profiler in screen sharing, it doesn't show anything using "Graphics/Displays"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Thanks a lot, but unfortunately neither of the X1900XT ROMs here seem to work :(

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

4. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

These 2 ROMs (form TME and SD, rev 140) are exactly that same. I got both, and both worked with PC X1900 (i flashed two, XT and XTX in Mac Pro with ATIFlash under DOS). Then something weird happened with your genuine Apple X1900...

6. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

I tried flashing using Cindori's ATI Flashing Tool. Unfortunately, I can't use DOS because screen sharing only works under OSX.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If you have access to PC with PCI Express (or any working Mac card), try under DOS with Atiflash - maybe your troubles with flashing X1900 are related to Cindori's tool (excuse me Cindori ;))?

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

no excuse, I am aware of a bug in the app, wher as 4890 rom will get stuck and potentionally be used for later flashings. I haven't seen a clear cut case of this but I know how to fix it, just need some time.
    Rokasburo, i recommend u try dos

9. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Thanks guys, but I just took my machine into the Apple Store today. Might even get a new card out of it :p

10. willpower101 macrumors regular

any update?

I'm about to try the one on the first linked site.

I'm actually trying to take my mac x1900 over to use on my pc, however every pc rom I use ends up in garbled text! any ideas?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The X1900 is worthless on the PC-side this day and age; you're better off just buying a new card (probably wouldn't cost you over $100).

12. willpower101 macrumors regular

Yes, if money grew on trees then your advice would be great. However this card was not only free, it's also better than any card I have in the house besides *maybe* my 8500gt thats in my hackintosh. So I say, no sense in wasting a free card.

13. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I've flashed my Apple X1900XT and it works well in my Dell Precision. I can post the BIOS I used if needed. I got in on techpowerup. It was a BIOS from an standard ATI technologies card.

14. willpower101 macrumors regular

Awesome, yeah please post the bios you used so I can test if this card is garbage or not. I flashed a couple that work, but the system either crashes, or has screen garbage and artifacts appear.

15. cured.not.dried macrumors member

apple store hardware testing doesn't go ROM-deep

the troubleshooting procedure will leave the genius believing that your video card is just fried.

luckily your applecare will yield you another one for fReEezz

16. willpower101 macrumors regular

Not quite. From what I can tell , everyone on this thread is out of warranty.

17. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I can't post the BIOS because I am at home and don't have the card here. But you can test these. I can't remember which one I tried.

What if you flash your card with the original EFI to see if it works again on the Mac? You may be able to do it with the X1900XT firmware update from Apple.

18. willpower101 macrumors regular

ah yes, i actually tried those two as well as some others. If that's what worked for you, then maybe the card is fried. I don't have a mac pro to put it in, it was an extra after doing some macbook repair work. he said if it worked i could keep it cause it was a cust pull.