Original Apple Watch Sport (S0) Owners: Are You Upgrading?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cambookpro, Sep 12, 2017.

?

If you own an Apple Watch Sport (S0 aluminium), are you upgrading?

1. Yes, to a Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)

50.4%
  2. Yes, to a Series 3 (GPS only)

17.9%
  3. Yes, to a Series 2

4.1%
  4. Yes, to a Series 1

0.8%
  5. No

16.3%
  6. Undecided/Nuance in comments

10.6%
  1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,

I have a launch-day Sport and have been mulling over whether to upgrade. S3 brings almost nothing new to the table over the Series 2 unless you want LTE - my mobile network/carrier doesn't support it yet so that's not really an option I'm considering.

Just curious as to what proportion of owners are changing the watch this time around, and reasons why. Maybe some people will look for deals on old S2 stock, or second hand units from people upgrading to the S3.

Please only vote if you own a S0 aluminium Sport - I imagine if you own a Stainless Steel you might be more conflicted due to the higher entry costs, LTE-only choice, etc.

My watch now dies before I get to bed, has a dead pixel and feels really slow... yet I still don't feel like rushing out of the door to replace it. An always-on screen might have tipped me over the edge.

Thank you!

2. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Stuck in between the Nike+ S2 or Nike+ S3 heck or maybe the S3 with no LTE. If I'm trying to be the budget conscious consumer of course the Nike+ S2 at a discounted price would be the way to go.

3. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Shoot, sorry, I voted before realizing you didn't want a response from AW0 steel owners. I voted, yes, fwiw.

4. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Yes. as my battery life seems to be slipping on my launch-day watch. I just can't decide on LTE or wifi-only. Cost is not an issue....I just wanted the best battery life. I find it hard to believe that the cellular version will last as long as the Wi-Fi/bluetooth only version.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I love my launch day space grey aluminum. I'm planning on replacing it with the same thing, but with cellular.

For me, cellular will make a huge difference. Because of the network where I work, my watch doesn't connect. So if I leave my phone on my desk and go to far down the hall, I've got nothing. I frequently leave my phone behind because women's clothing doesn't always have pockets. Or they have itty bitty pockets that are just fashion statements, and not for carrying an iPhone +. On top of that, I walk using a crutch, so if I have to take my phone everywhere, I can't even do simple things like open a door.

Being able to leave my phone behind will uncomplicate my life considerably. Can't wait!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm leaning heavily towards the Nike S3 non cellular. I'm thinking the battery will be even worse on the cellular variant and I rarely take a call on my series 0 watch now. Why spend the $$ on a feature I'll never use

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Any word on the Nike+S3 release...I received a notification from the Nike+ app, which was promoting the product BUT only allowed to sign up for notification when it was available...

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I sorta cheated, because I recently received a refurbished series 1 as replacement for my series 0, but I’m confident my vote would have been the same. I’m not upgrading. And I absolutely love my Apple Watch. The truth is I just don’t see sufficient reason right now to upgrade. GPS and LTE are both fine upgrades, but since I always listen to podcasts/audiobooks when I run/bike, I would always need to have my iphone with anyway. And any other features are marginal. The watch still works really really well on the series 0 that I had.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

S0 here from launch day... i'm probably upgrade to the black SS with sport band with LTE. I still want to know what it cost on VZ. So far i've seen on twitter that it's the same as a connected device.... so $10? I was hoping it would be $5. Pref free. I also want to know do I need to have it active like the iPad and only turn it on when I see fit

10. kuietstorm macrumors regular

kuietstorm

Will b upgrading to the S3 Space Grey LTE version.

11. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I've been pretty happy with my original one, and since I go pretty much everywhere with my phone I don't really see the need to get a Series 3. I may upgrade to a Series 2 down the line since I'd like to wear my watch in the pool though.

12. Elzbeths macrumors newbie

Elzbeths

I can't wait for the cellular connectivity. I'm addicted to my phone and love the idea of still being able to receive emergency phone calls and messages without carting around my phone all day. Having the watch has stopped my temptation from checking my phone when driving but this will take it to a whole new level.

13. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I sort of feel the same way. I have an original stainless and not sure I would use all the extra features to justify another $600 upgrade.
    Maybe I'll look into the Nike+ ones...

14. 2010lexus macrumors regular

If your trying to be the budget conscious consumer then I say keep the one you have. Lol

15. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

That's what I'm leaning towards if I do upgrade - silver Nike+ non-cellular. I don't go for long paddle board sessions without my phone. in face, I basically have my phone with me all the time.

Faster, longer battery life with a brighter screen are the big selling points, but still deciding if that's worth forking out ~£200 for once I sell my S0.

16. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I really want to upgrade to S2 or S3 (non-cellular).
    I have the original S0 OG GANGSTA Sport and I tend to not use any 3rd part apps because they are so slow they make me nervous and I much rather just use my phone.
    My interest in upgrading is only if apps do run faster and the watch polls internet data (like maps data) faster than S0, if not I don't care about GPS/LTE.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For me, I'm not sure if we will see an update for the Apple Watch in 2018 or not. But Series 3 has some great add on features, but not enough for me especially with LTE. What I'm looking for now, is a redesign or changes to the physical casing, ofa larger watch face, new casing materials, etc. I do opt for a Series 3, it would be for the non-LTE model.

18. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

S0 Sport here.
    I'm going to get the cellular, unless EE want ridiculous amounts for the tariff.
    Will be useful for me when I go to the gym/swimming or running an errand.
    Partner is due to give birth and emergency calls or messages without carrying my 7+ will be nice and convenient.
    Also hasn't the LTE version got higher storage capacity over the non-LTE?
    That coupled with the speed bump and GPS makes it a no-brainer.

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Then do it. I must have swam with my series 0 dozens of times over the 2+ years I had it. Never had any issues. It's possible the mic and speaker might have gotten slightly impaired (definitely still functional), but since I rarely use them I can't really say with certainty either way. Remember, the speaker is the only (notable) thing Apple redesigned in series 2 for waterproofing.

20. RyCan3 macrumors 6502a

RyCan3

I think I am going to upgrade to the sport LTE. I might not activate the LTE right away but I like having the option if I see the need.

21. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm either going with a used SS series 2 or series 3 space gray (non-cellular model).

22. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

I bought s3 Nike gps

23. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

I'm upgrading my OG S0 Space Gray to S3 LTE Space Gray myself. Excited to finally move up to something a little faster/newer after 2 1/2 years with my current one.

24. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

I’m in for this release. S0 battery is getting a little worn. S3 Stainless Steel just like my S0. Same for the wife.

25. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, I'm upgrading to a S3 42mm space gray sport with LTE. My launch day S0 42mm sport is starting to show its age. The battery won't get me through a full day anymore and it's miserably slow when trying to do something as basic as using Siri.