Carrier Original AT&T iPhone customers: have you switched?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by generalsmart, Sep 30, 2015.

?

Are you still with AT&T or have you switched to another carrier?

1. AT&T

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. Verizon

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. T-Mobile

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Sprint

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. generalsmart macrumors regular

If you had AT&T when you owned the iPhone 4 or earlier, are you still with AT&T now that you're using the 6 or 6s? Or have you switched to some other carrier?

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Still with att. Pretty happy overall. No real complaints aside from the usual spottiness here and there.

3. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

We were originally with Verizon and switched to AT&T for the iPhone 3G (goodbye, Kyocera Smartphone!). Not really a lot of difference in terms of quality or service. We're still with AT&T.

4. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

5. yashz macrumors regular

I've been with AT&T since before the first iPhone. The first iPhone I have with AT&T is iPhone 3G. Still happy with the signal strength in the area.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Still with AT&T. Might have switched to Verizon if they still had unlimited

7. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Still with AT&T since 03'. I haven't really had any complaints to be honest. Now that I have unlimited internet until I get throttled at 25GB makes me happy. i never go over 20 GB of data.

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Still here since the OG 2007 4gb iPhone. Had every model ip to the 6S+ and have loved every one. Well maybe except the 4s. That one felt like the least improvement.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Been with AT&T for 18 years and I'm in the processing of switching to T-Mobile.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Been with them for over 15 years and they have given me no reason to leave. Still have my unlimited data account started back in my Blackberry days. If for some reason I did take my 5 phones from ATT I would go to Verizon. I tried T-Mo and is was not good.

11. imlynxy macrumors 65816

With Att and have t-mo for international. T-mo is not very good in the USA

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Been with them since iPhone 1. Love-Hate relationship. Will never give up the unlimited plan, and I get a premier discount. Have had all the carriers over the years except verizon. Most issues I had were around coverage or cost. Would consider Verizon now as I believe their new LTE is simultaneous voice and data, and that's what deterred me in the past.

For example,

At home my ATT signal 2 bars. Verizon 5 bars. I use a microcell to improve ATT.

13. scaredpoet, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I switched to AT&T a few months before the iPhone 1 came out, ultimately got the iPhone 1 and have bough every model of iPhone since (except the 5C, 6, and 6S, instead getting the 5S, 6 Plus and 6 S Plus). I stayed with AT&T until June of 2014, when I took my freshly-unlocked 5S over to T-mobile.

Reason for switching: Wanted to get out of contract. My plan was to switch to T-Mobile, stick out the lousy coverage for a couple months and let them buy out my ETF, then go back to AT&T contract-free and pay about $20 less a month for my plan as a result.

Reasons for staying:

1. Surprised to find that T-mobile coverage where I live, work and travel is actually not lousy! (YMMV).

2. LTE speeds are much faster than I experienced on AT&T. I have friends still on AT&T complaining about speeds and even sometimes coverage issues, in places where my T-Mobile service works great. Again, surprised the heck out of me.

3. I got on a limited-time promotion where if I referred a friend to T-Mobile, we'd both get $25 and a year of the unlimited data plan at a $30 discount. Plus 5GB of data for my cellular iPad for $10 more. In all, I've been paying $67.10/month (including taxes) for unlimited iPhone data, 7GB mobile hotspot, and 5GB cellular iPad.

(Note: I've done the math and even without this promotion, I'd be paying at least $20 more on AT&T for less data regardless of what plan I choose... and no unlimited.)

4. T-Mobile got VoLTE and WiFi calling working before AT&T and Verizon did.

5. Despite the fact that I first hated John Legere's schtick, the things his company are doing are making the other carriers do more consumer-friendly things. I really don't like a lot of things AT&T and Verizon are doing to screw people over. And Sprint... is still just not an option. T-Mobile is far from perfect, but they're the least of all possible evils here.

I have no plans on switching anytime soon, but then I never planned on switching from AT&T. :) Currently on the iPhone 6S Plus which supports Band 12 LTE, which will apparently make T-Mobile even better.

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Been with ATT through Houston Cellular since the 1980s.

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Been with At&t since the original iPhone, see no need to switch. I have tried verizon but wasn't a fan, and travel to the boonies to much for T-Mobile.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I've been with them since launch day of original iPhone in June 2007. The network sure has improved. It was pretty bad in those early days.

When T-Mobile gets better in my area, I may switch.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Started with AT&T, but switched to Verizon for the iPhone5/5s. Verizon's LTE speeds dropped significantly where I lived, so switched back to AT&T.

18. Gin Gin, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I've been with AT&T for over 15 years. Actually I had Bellsouth Mobility, which became Cingular, which then became AT&T.

If they do indeed drop subsidies after this year, which I think they will, I will probably switch next time. Right now hanging on to my ancient subsidized unlimited data plan as long as I can.

19. rml4uk macrumors member

I had every model of the iPhone on AT&T but just switched our family plan to T-Mobile. I had absolutely no complaints about AT&T but T-Mobile is offering more data for less $$/month and I was able to get a 6S and a 6S Plus for less per month than just a 6S Plus would have cost at AT&T. Also, T-Mobile has a couple other little perks over AT&T (unlimited music streaming, faster LTE speeds - pulled a 42mb down 17mb up the other - rollover data that's good for a year). So far so good.

20. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I've been with AT&T since the iphone 1 (and prior actually since GSM in USA)..for me in the bay area, the pricing and the quality can't be beat at this point.

Historically, it was all about pricing. I had a 1000 min, unlimited data, 200 sms plan for 65$ a month. Then it went up to 75$ a month (this is all including taxes).

yes, the network was poor for a few years there, but for about the last 3 years the LTE network has been much better and better than the other mobile operators in all the places I go. chicago, seattle, washington DC, new york, boston.

And at this point, I still have the UDP and the 200 sms (which I hardly ever use since people are on iphones and imessage and other messaging options) and my plan now includes a 18% discount so my total monthly with taxes is about 62$..

every year I buy a new iphone (GF and I are on same plans but different 2 yr contracts) I sell the prior year for about 200-250$ more than I paid for it, so that pays for not only the next phone but also pays about 1/3 of the years monthly fees.

I can't beat that with any other carrier at this point

21. ccprstuff macrumors newbie

22. tivoboy macrumors 68030

were you merely endorsing my post here @ccprstuff (from my hometown!) ;-)

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

still with them since the original iPhone, (Cingular at the time).

24. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

25. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I was with them since BellSouth Mobility to Cingular to AT&T. Switched to Verizon last year since my employer gets a pretty good discount plus pays $50 toward the bill each month.