Original Canon 5d or Canon 60d????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcam216, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mrcam216 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! So I have a fun little question that I think everyone should have a lot of opinions about. I am in the market for a new camera. I currently have a Canon 7d and had a canon xsi. I don't wanna get into why i dont have the xsi anymore, but I am looking to buy a new camera within the next couple days. I can not afford the canon 5d mark ii, so i was wondering if i were to purchase the original canon 5d, would it produce better quality images then my current 7d or even better then the new 60d? I know it is full frame and new lenses would have to be purchased. I already have a couple lenses that would work with a full frame camera so that is not an issue. And as far as iq, I am referring to low light situations, regular modeling stuff in studio light, weddings etc.... Thanks for the suggestions!

p.s. (I really dislike when people go off the subject and say stuff like, a real photographer can produce studio quality images with a disposable camera. lol. yawl know what i mean)

2. rebby macrumors 6502

The 7d is a great camera, even in low light, so I don't know how much "better" things are going to get for you. The full sensor size on the 5d is a huge advantage though. If anything the 5d would be an awesome supplement to the 7d.

Are you looking for a replacement to the 7d or a supplement?

For the most part, the 5d and 7d can share lenses. I shoot almost exclusively with EF lenses for that very reason. Unless your only glass is EF-S, you'll be in good shape. If you really want those fantastic low light images, you're going to need some fast EF L glass anyway. If you don't have the glass already, you might want to go that route instead of getting a new body, at least to start with.

3. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

what lenses do you own? the 7D is already a great body. I've heard people say that a camera is 30% body and 70% glass.

I love renting lenses before buying them.

4. mrcam216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I do have a few lenses that would not work with the 5d, but as far as lenses that would work with it, i have a 24-70 2.8L, 70-200l 2.8, and a 50 1.2L. So lenses will not be an issue. I'm also a firm believer that lenses are more important than the body which is why i've invested more in them. With that being said, I think I am pretty good with lenses for a while, so I sort of take it you guys would purchase the original 5d over the 60d to compliment my 7d?

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what you mean by `better IQ' here: the 7D has a much more modern sensor with better noise behavior and a much, much more sophisticated AF system that works much better in low light -- especially if you use lenses with a razor thin dof such as the 50 mm f/1.2.

The 60D, on the other hand, would have almost identical IQ compared to the 7D since they share the same sensor. The 60D has less features, obviously, a slower (but still very capable) AF system and uses a less robust construction.

Compared to the 7D and the 60D, the 5D has only a few advantages and the most significant one is that lenses of equivalent focal length have smaller depth of field on the 5D. The 60D would be faster, especially in low light where the more sophisticated AF comes into play. A friend of mine owns a 5D plus some rather nice L glass and focussing the 5D with a f/1.2 lens is far from trivial, especially in low light.

Overall, I would say that the 60D would be a backup body to the 7D while the 5D augments the 7D in certain situations. If you plan to use the 60D as a backup body, the fact that your main body and the backup have the same crop factor is actually an advantage. Unless you need the the increased creative freedom you get from the smaller depth of field on the 5D, I would go for the 60D.

6. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

I have a 7d, a 500d as a back up and I have used a 60d.

I didn't really think that the 60d was much of a step up from the 500d. Definitely nowhere near the 7d.

I would ideally have the 5d as a brother to my 7d if I could afford it!!

If I couldn't and I was thinking what you're thinking, I would scrape the 60d idea.. and either get a 500d (save some cash) or more likely find a second hand 50d. They feel much nicer to shoot with than the 60d.

7. mrcam216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, and nice pics on your flickr site cupcake!
    I guess unless Im going to make the full switch to full frame and can afford a 5d ii, ill just maybe grab a used 50d or maybe even another 7d. Basically it kinda sounds like no one is really feeling the original 5d. Thanks for the responses guys!

8. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Thanks very much!! :)

I don't know about not feeling the 5d! Have you used one?? They are extremely nice. Very good for low light and full frame goodness. If I could afford one, I would get one!!

That said.. I'd wait 'til the mkIII...

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, I was just going to say this. You said you can't afford a MKII, so would buy the original 5D. If you can wait until after the MKIII comes out (which is likely to be soon, possibly within the next few months), you may be able to purchase a MKII for significantly cheaper than it is right now. And if that's the case, I would definitely go for that over the 60D.

10. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

The two big differences between the 5D and 60D are the full frame sensor and the build quality. Image quality probably won't be much difference even at high iso. I'm assuming you don't need the video that only the 60D has.

For professional/semi-pro use I would always go with the 5D. Canon went for a plastic body for the 60D unlike the 10-50D. This would make the biggest difference to me. I have an old 30D as a backup to my 5DII as it is tough and I don't have to worry about it slung over my shoulder or stuffed in a bag.

11. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

The 5d has video. It was the first. Are you sure you have one?! Also, I think you'll find full frame will always outperform a crop in low light capabilities.

12. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

are you sure you have seen one? the original 5D does not have Video. The nikon D90 was the first DSLR with video and it got released way after the original 5D. the 5D Mark2 has video.

But yes i agree with you that the full frame sensor will be awesome .. especially compared to the 60d.

13. cupcakes2000, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Haha! Yeah apologies all round there! I actually didn't realise we were talking about the original one! Even though it was very obvious!

Should read things better I guess!!

(Although, when I said first, I meant Canon..)

My bad!!

Sorry steveashhhhh!!!!!! :)

14. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I have the 5D and the 7D and some L lenses 24-70; 70-200; 135. While the 7D has much better AF the IQ of the 5D just more pleasant some people even prefer it over the 5D MKII. The L lenses you have - especially the 24-70 - are screaming for FF body. Check out the P.O.T.N. forums the 5D is still very popular and goes around $900.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=996038&page=313

15. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

No probs! I think it's an overwhelming consensus to get the 5D then!