Original CDs/DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Strapontin, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Strapontin macrumors newbie

I all !

I have bought a macbook white to a friend, without the original CDs (the grey ones).
    Basically, does it matters ?

Because I thaught it does, I have reached the apple online store by phone and ask them if they can provide them to me... and actually, I am a bit wondering by their answer. The man began to explain me that a upgrade on mac must be done step by step, and I can't switch from 10.4 directly to 10.7. Okay, but that wasn't my question.
    So, after I precise my thaught, he said me that actually CDs doesn't exist anymore for macs, and if I want, I can directly buy the retail version of an OS.

So, do you think that without for example the grey cds, if I need to restore something, or check something, my retail version of 10.6 is sufficient ?

If I need the grey CDs, I also have another question : the mac I bought doesn't come from the country I live in. So for example, if I can find the suitable CDs in my country, Germany, will it be suitable for a French or even US Macbook ?

Thank you a lot for your help !

2. simsaladimbamba

The Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 € is a fully working retail DVD and does not need a prior version of Mac OS X installed, thus it works with Intel Macs coming with 10.4 and 10.5 and 10.6, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.
    The DVD also includes all languages.