Original HD is Full... What to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ShakeWellProd, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ShakeWellProd macrumors member

My Pro came with a 250gig HD and I would like to upgrade it to a 1TB. Is this difficult to remove programs on the "slave" drive and move it over to the new HD? Or can I install my future apps on another HD? I have two other drives in my Mac.

My original HD only has 25 gigs left on it and I'm looking to install Adobe CS4 on it.

Thank you.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wirelessly posted (Jeff's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

you could put the internal hard drive into an external enclosure and then once you have the new 1 tb drive installed you can insert the leopard discs and use the migration assistant to copy everything over to the new drive. It will migrate settings and everything too.

3. OZMP macrumors 6502

4. ShakeWellProd thread starter macrumors member

?

Does CCC allow me to add a internal HD and then install CCC and copy it over to the new drive or do I have to buy a external HD?

5. Semiopaque macrumors regular

CCC as stated or Super Duper will work. Install your new hard drive internally, then use the software to make a bootable copy of your old hard drive onto your new hard drive - except with alot more space left over.

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can also use the Restore function in Disk Utility. It will clone a drive just like the above programs. Restore is slower, but the two programs above sometimes leave out certain files.

7. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Agreed... CCC is great, but I have had little issues with it in the past. Disk Utility is spot on.