Original HDD in casing not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BMNB1tch, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BMNB1tch macrumors regular

I recently swapped my original mac HDD for a SDD and put the HDD in an external hard drive casing. Once I plug it in, I can hear the drive spinning, but there is no recognition on the mac. Nothing on disk utility as well.

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact external enclosure are you using and how is it connected to your Mac?

3. simsaladimbamba

Can you confirm, that it is working?
    Is your old HDD still recognised when in the MBP?
    Have you tried an SMC reset yet?
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (Apple Support Site)

If the first link does not work, as the Apple Support Pages are bit funky these last weeks:
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (PDF from that Apple Support Page about resetting the SMC)​

4. BMNB1tch thread starter macrumors regular

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had this issue where one of my USB ports stopped recognizing devices (but it would still power and charge things like my phone, etc.)

After a SMC reset, this issue went away:
    Turn off your computer. Plug it into the wall. Hold the Shift+Control+Option on the left side of the keyboard and press the power button. The computer will not turn on. Then release all the keys and press the power button again to power on the computer.