Original iMac Networking

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MaxRady, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MaxRady macrumors member

I hope I found the right spot for this post. Couldn't find a prehistoric section.

Well it finally happened; the original iMac (i think it has been nicknamed the Blueberry) my mother has been using primarily as a word processor has reached the point of forced hibernation. She is using a Macbook Pro she just purchased last year and is trying to pull her documents off of the iMac. I tried using a thumb drive, and a power external hard drive, but they both pulled up an error message that reads, "The software needed to use the USB device 'USB to Serial-ATA bridge' cannot be found. Please refer to the device documentation to install the necessary software." I don't really think installing any software on this thing is an option, so I tried my hand at networking the two via ethernet. I have not been able to reach a proper connection between the two, and have been trying to use walkthroughs posted on apple's website to get a connection. I made sure to turn on the file sharing on the iMac, and I still can't get the computer to register on the MacBook Pro's network. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommendations? Here are the specs of the iMac (don't laugh!)

Mac OS 8.6
    Built-in Memory 32MB
    Virtual Memory 400 MB
    Largest Unused Block 384.8 MB

And the Macbook Pro (for what it's worth)
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Thank you so much in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because that Macbook Pro has Snow Leopard, it cannot connect to a Classic Mac OS and vise-versa. I suggest finding the USB mass storage driver for Mac OS 8.6, burning it onto a cd and installing it. Download it here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1265?viewlocale=en_US

3. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

4. farmhillbob macrumors newbie

usb and 8.6

Hello,

I saw the driver you need on the apple support site. You will have to do a search for "USB Mass storage support' I think thats what the name of it is.

If i can help further - drop me a email

Bob:)

----------

I found a place in San Jose called MacPro

they work on everything Mac - maybe they can help??

Bob

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

As I recall I tried that once and had to upgrade to Open Transport from System 9 or something. It's a pain; turned out to be easier to burn the data to a CD. It might also be easier with a crossover ethernet cable.

Rob