original ipad 1 issues

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itsjustmeee, Feb 24, 2013.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I have a parent who has an ipad 1 and is running an older ios .... I believe 5.1. It's the 16 gig model and she's been having a hard time with the memory lately. If I tell her to go into "General" and "Usage", it says 0.0 GB free and I'll tell her to delete unused apps and then it will say that she has roughly 3 GB free but after a day or two of usage, it's back to 0 free and programs like Netflix constantly crash and she has to re-log in every time. I can't figure out where the memory on this thing is going. There's no new apps being installed, no podcasts, emails or anything else that would be taking up the memory and when she reads to me what's taking up space under "Usage", there's almost nothing there. Unfortunately she doesn't live near me so i can't just go over there to sync it up with my macbook, update everything and see what the problem is.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how I can solve it?

2. smithy33 macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with my girlfriend's iPhone, the memory was full and I couldn't work out why because she didn't have that much media or apps on there. In iTunes where it breaks down the memory there was a large section (a few GBs) labelled 'Other' which indicated corrupt files. Restoring as a new phone solved the problem. Not sure if that is the same problem, but might be worth looking in to.