Original iPad 3.2.2 => 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Kadin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'm picking up an original iPad for $250 and it's currently on 3.2.2. I want to update it to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it using Greenpois0n. Any advice on the right way to go about doing this? As far as I know, it's never been jailbroken up to this point.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple is no longer signing 4.2.1 so without having the SHSH blobs saved your only option will be to install 4.3 and do a tethered jailbreak.

3. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I suggest that you install tinyumbrella, and run it. It will back up your SHSH blobs and show you what options you actually have....

4. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah so I ran TU and it was only able to save for 4.3. Can anyone think of a reason to jailbreak 3.2.2 and save those to Cydia before going up to 4.3? I'm trying to think of any possible reason why I'd want to go back to 3.2.2. At this point, it seems like everything 4.3 offers is better. And I have to believe that an untethered jb will happen eventually...

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Do you have the camera connection kit or do you plan to get it? The connection kit only really fully works with the non 4.0 versions...

6. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Nope, don't use it and don't really see a need for it. I think I'm just gonna go up to 4.3. There's nothing I desperately need with the jb, I just love being able to quickly kill all my apps and some of my themes... but that stuff will come in due time.

Thanks for all the help! :)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jailbreaking at 3.2.2 will not let you save SHSH. Those can only be gotten from Apple. Once they stop signing the firmware, there's absolutely no way to get them anymore.